Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BCM 12.5 Kino Upper with Geissele MK3 10" cutout

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)

BCM 12.5 Kino Upper with Geissele MK3 10" cutout

So I decided to to buy a BCM Kino a while back and was kind of dissapointed in the handguard selection. I wanted a Free Float, and to use the standard barrel nut (just cut off Delta ring) and throw one on. I bought a C4 midlength cutout and realized how much I didnt like quad rails anymore. The new slimmer profile rails just feel better. So out the window with using the standard barrel nut. I have Geissele SMR's and they are my favorite. Mk1 and Mk3s to be exact. So I found a MK3 10" and picked one up. The issue with using a 1 piece rail is trying to get the FSB in and pinned with the handguard on. I would assume some rails would just happen to line up perfectly with a hole to pound the pin in straight (KMR?), but the Geissele does not. I looked at the 9.5 inch Mk2 and Mk4 rails but they are too fat for my liking and only cutting off .25 inchs would kinda be funny looking IMO. Mk1 and Mk3 were my only options. So I took a brand new MK3 and took it to the chopping block. I needed to take .75 off the front top 1913 section to give me the proper clearance. The width clearance needed to be right at .82 to allow clearance for the FSB and for the handguard to be able to slightly tilt one way or another to stay level with the upper receiver. Using a mini mill I got it pretty close to my liking. I had to go over a few spots manually after to get it right. The mini mill worked but not like a CNC or other industrial one would. The 45 degree openings on the SMR were the exact width of the 1913 rail on the 12.oclock. So the mills spec was off a few thousands or more so I had to make a few more passes to get it to open the sides up. Its not a professional job by any means, but I would like to think its not a hack either. I just used some flat black high temp paint to touch up the inner machine markings and the front face that mates up to the FSB. I was successful in that I did not mark or destroy any of the external finish. So looking at the handguard from 12, 3, 9, etc, it is all the original finish. The only parts touched up were facing the FSB. The cuts were made vertically, so you would need to look inside the FSB area to see them anyway. The front pin of the FSB was easy to install. The rear pin needed to be shortened. With the handguard tilted as far as it would go (hardly at all) and starting the taper pin in the gas block (with the gas block tilted also) I was able to get it barley started. Rotating the FSB vertical while putting pressure on the pin, let it go into place. There was just enough room to get the edge of the punch on the pin to seat it. The front pin went in afterwards and its good to go. This is just an extra SBR upper at the moment until I decide to get more SBR lowers. Here are two pics I took and only ones I have at the moment.

Last edited by Jwknutson17; 03-05-15 at 10:57. Reason: Added another pic

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Very well done and I applaud your efforts. Nice to see people making things work.
    The only thing I would have done differently would be to cut off the "hooked" leftovers @ 1 & 10 o'clock.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdcgrohl View Post
    Very well done and I applaud your efforts. Nice to see people making things work.
    The only thing I would have done differently would be to cut off the "hooked" leftovers @ 1 & 10 o'clock.
    Agreed. I can manage to snag things like that on anything. But I do like it. I'm not sure I'd have the guts to cut on a Geissele rail.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I was trying not to get into the 45 openings but the material was so thin because of the clearance with the FSB. Was too close to not open it up. I ended up with very sharp hooks at first. I took a little off, but I'll have to see if I need to take more. Might just end up rounding it off. At this point all assembled, it would be difficult to put it back in and try to machine it flat off. I know a cut off wheel would be the very last option. Maybe a little drimmel could take a little off without going "hack".

Edit. Ended up rounding it off by hand. Seems to work out well. When mounting a scout light on either side in the 45 along side the FSB, there is really no way to have anything catch in there. The rail is pretty close to the sight post so you would really have to "try" to get it snagged up. Think its good to go now.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 09-24-14 at 22:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jwknutson17 that looks good, job well done.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Well, that certainly makes my "build" seem a lot more like an assembly. An SMR and a forged FSB, talk about a tough set up.

Feedback Score
    Any clue if the cutout will fit an Adams Arms piston front?

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    All mine now

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Let us know how it runs when you put it through the paces. Can't say I don't have any sellers remorse

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any update??? I would like to see some pics of it installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast