Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need pic rail the entire top of a handguard?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Do I need pic rail the entire top of a handguard?

I'm slowly beginning another build. I'm also coming close to analysis paralysis with regard to which free floated handguard to use. I'm in no way married to Keymod or M-lok. In researching the countless options I've noticed some companies are offering systems where there is only picatinny rail on top at the end where an iron sight would traditionally be placed.

Here is the MI example.
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...tegory_ID=1264

SLR Rifleworks also has a similar design.
    http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...ory&path=66_71

None of my rifles (duty or personal) have a laser and if they did I could attach them on the side or in place of a BUIS at 12 o'clock. To date I have used that location only for a light, flip up sight or both. I haven't ever used the top rail between the muzzle end and the upper receiver. In addition I end up having to add something to protect the rail and my hand.

With that in mind, I see no logical reason I'd need the rail to run the entire length of the handguard. But for some reason it feels wrong to go that route. Thoughts??
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    Use a thumb over top grip? If so, a naked top might be more comfortable. In addition to those rails above, the ALG EMRs are naked with separate co-witness pieces for adding an iron.

Saves weight, makes a more comfortable over top grip. And with the modularity, you can add rail where you need it.

I was looking at the same options you were. Price and the barrel nut setup led me to choose the ALG EMR.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by .46caliber; 09-10-14 at 20:23.

Feedback Score
    I don't use thumb over. But if I add a section of rail won't it be taller than an integrated rail?
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Are you just trying to save as much weight as possible? IMO the rail on the top might not always be necessary, but it doesn't really hurt anything either. And who knows, you might decide to rock a pressure switch or DBAL/PEQ15 some day. (Full disclosure: all of my guns still rock quad rails).
    "Remember, if it doesn't violate the BYU Honor Code, it's not worth doing"
    -Daniel Tosh

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you aren't going to use it, you don't need it. Save the onces, I have the SLR and it is really good! I don't miss the full pic rail on top either.
    M&P 9 & 9c, AR-15

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I don't use thumb over. But if I add a section of rail won't it be taller than an integrated rail?
    For the EMR, there are two different add-on rail pieces. One size is for mounting around the perimeter for things like VFGs, lights or off-sets. The other is a co-witness height that will line up level with the rail on top of the upper receiver.

ALG may be working on a longer piece for running an iron and a light in the 12 o'clock.

I don't know if the MI or SLR offerings have add-on pieces for the top rail.

Last edited by .46caliber; 09-10-14 at 21:12.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't see why you would need the rail all the way on top but FWIW, the BCM 13 inch KMR is lighter than either of the rails you mentioned

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-K.../bcm-kmr13.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you already answered your own question. What is the purpose of your new build?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalMark View Post
    I think you already answered your own question. What is the purpose of your new build?
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    Are you just trying to save as much weight as possible? IMO the rail on the top might not always be necessary, but it doesn't really hurt anything either. And who knows, you might decide to rock a pressure switch or DBAL/PEQ15 some day. (Full disclosure: all of my guns still rock quad rails).
    The rifle doesn't really have a specific mission/purpose. I already have a precision 5.56 rifle, and a SBR for HD (and both see use in competitions/classes). This rifle is more of a fun build because I can. I'm not trying to make it crazy light (as in no forward assist, pencil bbl), but if I can shave ounces in places where they aren't doing anything other than adding ounces... I just want to know what, if anything I'm giving up by going down that path.

I can always mount a laser on the side, or at 12 o'clock (moving the light offset to the right) if I do that. I see a quality laser as a viable backup to an optic, so I'd probably ditch BUIS if I did that. I am also not a big fan of pressure switches - or more to the point, cables on my rifles. Is anyone making an M-Lok or Keymod direct mount setup for lasers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    For the EMR, there are two different add-on rail pieces. One size is for mounting around the perimeter for things like VFGs, lights or off-sets. The other is a co-witness height that will line up level with the rail on top of the upper receiver.

ALG may be working on a longer piece for running an iron and a light in the 12 o'clock.

I don't know if the MI or SLR offerings have add-on pieces for the top rail.

Interesting. I'm still not sure I'd need them (and the ALG seems to have no top rail at all, making a co-witness height option necessary), as there is top rail at the front.

ETA: the ALG doesn't come in a 15" model which eliminates it anyway.
    Last edited by El Cid; 09-11-14 at 08:43.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A keymod top rail actually makes a lot of sense if you have no use for a 1913 rail on top. I imagine there are obvious weight gains with keymod at 12 o'clock. However, with the transition from 1913 rail on top of the upper receiver to keymod on the rail would be a lot more aesthetically pleasing to use a one piece rail/upper.

Is anyone working on a keymod front sight? Would it hold a zero as well as a 1913 front sight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast