Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I need pic rail the entire top of a handguard?

Feedback Score
    I think it depends on how you set up your sling/sight/light. I had a JP hand guard with only enough rail for the front sight, and it limited my options. I changed it out for the MI SSK, with full top rail. This opened up enough room for my front sight and a 12 o'clock X300 mount. I run my sling in the built in sling mounts, but if your hand guard doesn't have one, its easy to mount a sling off the top rail as well. If all you will ever want to mount on top is your sight and you want to try something different I'd say mess around with one of the options you mentioned, but if you think it may be a possibility I don't see what it takes away to have the full length rail.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I like the top rail so I can check perfect alignment with the upper.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalMark View Post
    I think you already answered your own question. What is the purpose of your new build?
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    Are you just trying to save as much weight as possible? IMO the rail on the top might not always be necessary, but it doesn't really hurt anything either. And who knows, you might decide to rock a pressure switch or DBAL/PEQ15 some day. (Full disclosure: all of my guns still rock quad rails).
    The rifle doesn't really have a specific mission/purpose. I already have a precision 5.56 rifle, and a SBR for HD (and both see use in competitions/classes). This rifle is more of a fun build because I can. I'm not trying to make it crazy light (as in no forward assist, pencil bbl), but if I can shave ounces in places where they aren't doing anything other than adding ounces... I just want to know what, if anything I'm giving up by going down that path.

I can always mount a laser on the side, or at 12 o'clock (moving the light offset to the right) if I do that. I see a quality laser as a viable backup to an optic, so I'd probably ditch BUIS if I did that. I am also not a big fan of pressure switches - or more to the point, cables on my rifles. Is anyone making an M-Lok or Keymod direct mount setup for lasers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    For the EMR, there are two different add-on rail pieces. One size is for mounting around the perimeter for things like VFGs, lights or off-sets. The other is a co-witness height that will line up level with the rail on top of the upper receiver.

ALG may be working on a longer piece for running an iron and a light in the 12 o'clock.

I don't know if the MI or SLR offerings have add-on pieces for the top rail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Interesting. I'm still not sure I'd need them (and the ALG seems to have no top rail at all, making a co-witness height option necessary), as there is top rail at the front.

ETA: the ALG doesn't come in a 15" model which eliminates it anyway.
    Last edited by El Cid; 09-11-14 at 08:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang4Buck View Post
    I don't see why you would need the rail all the way on top but FWIW, the BCM 13 inch KMR is lighter than either of the rails you mentioned

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-K.../bcm-kmr13.htm
    It is lighter - until you add the QD sockets on the BCM. The MI comes with them already.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I like the top rail so I can check perfect alignment with the upper.
    Would the segment of rail at the point where the upper meets the handguard be sufficient? Or would you need the entire top rail to be sure?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah.. just a little section is good... I mean.. it's not a deal breaker... just nice to be able to align them perfectly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I must have a top rail because that's where my front BUIS and light mounts go. I guess I could go Keymod for the light and just use the pic rail for the front BUIS... MI, stop releasing lighter rails! As soon as I buy your lightest, latest and greatest, you come out with something lighter and better!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah.. just a little section is good... I mean.. it's not a deal breaker... just nice to be able to align them perfectly.
    Cool - thanks. That's what I was thinking, but this will only be my 3rd build so I still have much to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    I must have a top rail because that's where my front BUIS and light mounts go. I guess I could go Keymod for the light and just use the pic rail for the front BUIS... MI, stop releasing lighter rails! As soon as I buy your lightest, latest and greatest, you come out with something lighter and better!
    LOL! To be fair, the versions I'm considering from MI and SLR have rail at the end for a light/BUIS. They just do away with the rail between there and the upper receiver.

Feedback Score
    I think you answered the question yourself. If you only need a top rail for mounting a front BUIS, and aren't going to be mounting an offset light, sling mount, offset red dot, IR laser, clip-on NV, or any other accessory, you might as well skip it and enjoy lighter weight and a more comfortable grip.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Or you could just buy a quad rail and never have to worry about anything ever again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Or you could just buy a quad rail and never have to worry about anything ever again.
    Lol! Anytime I'm feeling nostalgic I can bust out my duty rifle. It has that old technology.

I'm hoping Gear Sector releases their new handguard sooner than later. I've been super impressed with everything they've made so far.
    Last edited by El Cid; 09-12-14 at 22:26.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast