Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawk 982 shotgun review

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    They were imported into the U.S and then exported to Kenya.
    Good info. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I ended up not being able to find a hawk but picked up a h&r pardner pump for 150 bucks used on local gun forum.. I mainly did it to see if the internet rumors were true about parts exchange ability was true or not.
    H&R top
    500 bottom
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415951316.705926.jpg

Sent from my shop couch!

Feedback Score
    I've got a Hawk that's several years old now. I picked up an H&R Pardner, which is the same gun, about a year ago. Both have been very good shotguns, though the newer one has only a few hundred shells through it. I recommend them all the time, and no one has ever regretted buying one that I'm aware of.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Mine has been good.

No provision for front sling mount. Work out/buy what you like. Uses 870 parts so plenty of choices.

Only minor issues is that like all guns, screws need loctite. In this case it's the rear sight ring. It sits on a bevel with a set screw to secure it. Mine started walking forward. Luckily I caught it before it slid off the front.

If the screws associated with the rear sight won't come loose when new don't try too hard. Do some shooting and check them now and then. If they ever get loose, remove, clean, blue loctite and reinstall. No big deal.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I ordered one from gallery of guns and had it shipped to my work/FFL dealer. I picked it up earlier today and took it out to the desert to test. I had a mix of Estate, Walmart special Winchester and Federal bird shot and Remington buckshot totaling 400 rounds. My 982 is heavy, but well built, no MIM steel anywhere. Definitely would be great as a melee weapon if it comes down to that. Even the stock plastic buttstock and forend felt very solid compared to the 870s I've handled. All 400 rounds functioned, only issue was the Winchester Universal birdshit constantly got stuck on extraction, very annoying but then again its the cheap crap from Walmart. Everything else ejected without issue, including the Walmart Federal birdshot.

So far Im very impressed with my 982, especially for about $250 OTD. Better than the murican made trash from Remington I've used and seen. The stock and forend are again good to go but I may go with Magpul since the I prefer a shorter LOP and a more modular forend.

Feedback Score
    I've had mine for a few years and it's not bad for the money, but as others here have touched on, it's not as good as an 870 (which I have 3). The action is still stiff, the shell ejector is slightly deformed which causes a sticking point so it NEEDS to be racked hard into battery, and the sights leave a lot to be desired (i.e the front post looks uneven, the rear needs extreme windage and elevation). Would I buy it again? Probably not.

Feedback Score
    500 rounds....100 slugs mix o bird and buck shit. It's awesome. Not bad for 200. Mine is the t 982t model. Only thing of contention is the rear sight fell off...luckily it fell off in my safe not the field. Put on some blue loctite....all good. Planning on getting another basic one to leave in trunk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mulatosnarf View Post
    500 rounds....100 slugs mix o bird and buck shit. It's awesome. Not bad for 200. Mine is the t 982t model. Only thing of contention is the rear sight fell off...luckily it fell off in my safe not the field. Put on some blue loctite....all good. Planning on getting another basic one to leave in trunk
    The rear sight on mine got really loose. Used loctite. The screws later sheered in half. They are very, very soft. Replace them with screws from the hardware store. I used stainless steel ones and painted them black to match the gun. Then blue loctite. Been fine since.

You'll also want the ribbed washer thingy for under the magazine screw cap or you'll have to keep checking it.

I haven't fired mine in a while and next time I take it out it's going to be ran hard. Mind you 25% of my shooting is low-brass birdshot, 70% low-recoil buckshot and slugs, and 5% standard power buckshot/slugs.

These are a great value.

(edited. Update in post below! And forget what I said)
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-05-18 at 18:13.

Feedback Score
    Took the 982 out with about 150 rnds to fire, mostly Fiocchi 7/8 oz slugs.

We hadn't fired much yet and my shooting partner seemed to having a hard time working the action. I made some comment about "man up/don't be gentile with it". He thought it could use a cleaning/lubing but it was clean and lightly lubed already.

I could tell myself the action was a bit stiff, then really stiff, then it seized up and we had to break it down and get it unloaded.

When I got it home I found the flat piece that rides the inner rails in the receiver had a couple spots that looked a bit galled up. When I checked the corresponding rail milled/part of the inner receiver it was really messed up. Like the edge of a sword you'd hacked at with another sword if that makes sense. Worn away/shredded/ground unevenly though much of it's length.

There is nothing to be done about that. So I salvaged the major components I could, smashed up the receiver with a big hammer, and tossed it in the trash. So this time it looks like my $200 got me a shotgun that lasted (very roughly) about 700 rnds. Mostly buckshot and slugs though I don't think it matters.

Ah, well. The ARX 100 is the HD long gun for the meantime.

A larger image shows how bad the rail is. It's shiny and carved up really bad. Like I said, I guess it wasn't heat treated properly.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-10-18 at 23:05. Reason: added pic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12