Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Sight: Carry Handle Type or Fixed?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Rear Sight: Carry Handle Type or Fixed?

OK, I've got a simple 14.5" mid-length rifle with a standard front sight. Right now I have a carry handle I bought from BCM for the rear sight. The main aperture seems very large to me and I've not been particularly happy with either aperture for shooting with this rifle.

The question is, should I change out the carry handle for a fixed rear? Or is there a mod (aperture replacement?) I can make to the carry handle aperture to give me a better sight picture?

I like the handle, but I'm just not getting good results.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If you're not happy with iron sights, sounds like you should look into an Aimpoint/EoTech.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    If you're not happy with iron sights, sounds like you should look into an Aimpoint/EoTech.
    Thanks, but no that's not the problem. I have rifles with Aimpoints. The problem is that the carry handle sight has a much larger aperture than I'm used to with the folding Troys I use on all my other rifles. I was just wondering if others had experienced this and what their suggestions are.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have no personal experience with them, but I've heard good things about the CSAT aperture.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That looks interesting. I guess I also need to check the sizes of the current apertures to see how they compare. I like the idea of the notch on top, makes transition to longer range seem easy.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Thanks, but no that's not the problem. I have rifles with Aimpoints. The problem is that the carry handle sight has a much larger aperture than I'm used to with the folding Troys I use on all my other rifles. I was just wondering if others had experienced this and what their suggestions are.
    You know that there are two apertures right? Flip it to the smaller one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LMT fixed/detachable rear.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For the work a 16 inch carbine is generally put to, the larger aperture is superior. It's faster on target and let's more light in to the eye. In the same situation, I learned to use the larger aperture. I also find it easier to see through as my eyes get older
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen4Glock22 View Post
    You know that there are two apertures right? Flip it to the smaller one.
    LOL, yeah. It's like the smaller one is too small. Seems really different than my Troy sights, or am I losing it?

This how little I know about the aperture to post relationship, are there standardized sizes for most apertures?

The reason I say that the large aperture is too large is that the front sight absolutely swims in the aperture so it is hard to get a repeatable sight picture. It just seems odd. Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    For the work a 16 inch carbine is generally put to, the larger aperture is superior. It's faster on target and let's more light in to the eye. In the same situation, I learned to use the larger aperture. I also find it easier to see through as my eyes get older
    That's how I see it too, with the Troy sights. But this is not how it appears with the carry handle. Just wondering if the apertures come in different sizes normally. I guess I need to get out the small measuring tools after I pick up my kids at school...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast