Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New XD40

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Wounds are funny things. No two are the same. No two people are the same. Wounds are complex, and as I understand terminal ballistics, are created in two ways; temporary and permanent wound channels. Hydrostatic shock plays a vital role.

I've learned from years of hunting that bigger isn't always better for killing. I've shot game with a .35 Whelen with nearly 4000 fpe (225 gr at 2700 FPS) on target, and watch the game travel several hundreds yards despite perfect shot placement. Meanwhile, I've shot game with a 140 gr 7mm (.280 AI specifically) at 3300 FPS and had game fall in place dead with identical shot placement.

Use something you can get the best accuracy and fastest splits with and you'll be fine should you have to use it. For me, it's a 9mm Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Wounds are funny things. No two are the same. No two people are the same. Wounds are complex, and as I understand terminal ballistics, are created in two ways; temporary and permanent wound channels. Hydrostatic shock plays a vital role.

I've learned from years of hunting that bigger isn't always better for killing. I've shot game with a .35 Whelen with nearly 4000 fpe (225 gr at 2700 FPS) on target, and watch the game travel several hundreds yards despite perfect shot placement. Meanwhile, I've shot game with a 140 gr 7mm (.280 AI specifically) at 3300 FPS and had game fall in place dead with identical shot placement.

Use something you can get the best accuracy and fastest splits with and you'll be fine should you have to use it. For me, it's a 9mm Glock.

With pistol loads in standard service loads, that's not considered a factor in wounding no. As this thread is discussing 9mm., .40., .45, I'm assuming the comments was directed to that. At the velocities reached by rifle calibers, stretching of the tissue by hydrostatic mechanisms becomes a factor to the perm wounding. Bullets in standard duty pistol rounds essentially poke holes in people, and the perm cavity essentially the width of the bullet. Hence, a major reason they are poor man stoppers.

That's the summary as I understand it via the current opinion of the researchers in the field of terminal ballistics.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Indeed you are correct, just making the point bigger and more energy isn't always the solution. That may not have translated as well as I'd hoped.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Indeed you are correct, just making the point bigger and more energy isn't always the solution. That may not have translated as well as I'd hoped.
    Just added for clarity. You have shot a lot more living things than I have from the sound of it.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Roger that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456