Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9 impressions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Could you please explain what you mean by this? I've never heard of a "surprise let off".
    When shooting for accuracy, slow fire, focusing on sight alignment while adding pressure to the trigger. When the trigger breaks without being anticipated. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    When shooting for accuracy, slow fire, focusing on sight alignment while adding pressure to the trigger. When the trigger breaks without being anticipated. Hope this helps.
    Is that still a real thing? I know it was taught decades ago but didn't realize it was still a valid shooting concept.

Feedback Score
    Oh I gotcha. I usually just mentally say "press press press" while I'm focused on my front sight. Seems to do the trick.

Not really sure you could even get a surprise break with a striker gun. The wall is quite apparent. Not even sure a surprise break is even desirable, once you greatly reduce flinching.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    HKguns,

It can't just be the price point can it?
    I think that is a big part of it. On top of it they have finally decided to enter the class of handguns that most Americans have grown to prefer: (virtual) single action only handguns. The LEM was interesting, and I put right under 14k through one about 9 years ago, but it just isn't perceived to be as easy to shoot as the Glock system. On the other hand, the LEM is clearly safer to cary (in my opinion).Basically, people want the Glock/M&P
    they have grown used to--without all hassle associated with them these days. Combine this with H&K's generally excellent reputation and you have a winner. That's my theory anyway.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Is that still a real thing? I know it was taught decades ago but didn't realize it was still a valid shooting concept.
    I told you I was getting old To me it is just some of the basics, or fundamentals. Times and termanology change, the basics are still there. Or so I would think. I began my intense shooting education 25+yrs ago, I'm sure many things have changed, and I have changed along the way as well but I can't embrace every new style that comes along. This is not meant to be a slight in anyway, toward anyone or any technique. What I described is simply a crawl before walk, walk before run mentality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Oh I gotcha. I usually just mentally say "press press press" while I'm focused on my front sight. Seems to do the trick.

Not really sure you could even get a surprise break with a striker gun. The wall is quite apparent. Not even sure a surprise break is even desirable, once you greatly reduce flinching.
    With a Glock I always felt it was nearly impossible to get a suprise break, or simply a crisp break may be a better term. I believe that is an aspect that is so appealing about the VP, is has a much crisper break. More like a single action of old, think 1911. A suprise break, in my understanding is driven by the shooter, not the gun. I always prefer as crisp a break as possible, I can then choose to use a suprise break if needed for an accurate shot, or to drive the gun harder and faster and anticipate the break. Depending on the situation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Basically, people want the Glock/M&P they have grown used to--without all hassle associated with them these days.
    This is exactly what got me interested.

I'm not going to throw my M&P9s out but it's nice to have something that feels good and shoots/functions well without any tinkering. VP9s do that and the trigger feels like any decent striker pistol. It's nothing groundbreaking, just something boring done well.

Feedback Score
    500 rounds thru mine and agree 100% with your post..
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    The VP9 is a fantastic low-drama choice right now. I am recommending it to everyone who isn't heavily invested in another platform (and even some of them).
    Last edited by Max Cady; 09-14-14 at 23:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On the bottom left was the first 15 rds ever from the VP9. Top left is a 100rd group.

The center target is a 100rd group from a Sig P225.

Top right is a 25rd group from my G23.
    curious as to why you didn't use a SIG 228/229 and a G17/19 for what would seem to be a more valid comparison

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juliet9 View Post
    curious as to why you didn't use a SIG 228/229 and a G17/19 for what would seem to be a more valid comparison
    I used what I had And I know exactly what your saying, a more direct comparison and I would expect that if done by a gun magazine or some other professional source. Which is why I labeled it an impression. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the shooter I used to be but I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who might looking at the VP since it is fairly new.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast