Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good decision??

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    You made a good purchase with the 6920.

Of your 45 caliber pistol choices, I would go with the M&P.

If asked my opinion about caliber though, I would go with a 9mm. I've carried a 9mm for the last 23 years as an inter-city LEO. The difference in pistol calibers firing the same tech bullets isn't enough to get concerned about. The cost of 9mm vs. 45 caliber ammo is significant though.

In 9mm, I would look at a Glock 17 and an M&P9. Try to shoot both at the same time. Buy whichever gun YOU shoot better.
    What are your reasons on the m&p 45

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I am not a fan of the XD or XDM pistols. I have heard of too many agencies having long term issues with the Glock 21. The M&P 45 seems to be a constant performer in 45 acp. Reliable and accurate. If i bought one, i would get their mid length M&P45. Full size frame with a slightly shorter slide. I prefer the feel and balance of this in their 45 line.

But as I said before, I'd rather have a 9mm for the purposes you are looking to use a pistol for.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dylank0723 View Post
    Thanks y'all. Now to decide between a gen 4 clock 21, m&p 45 or xdm 45
    Placement and bullet construction make a bigger difference than caliber - if you have the budget to run 45 then I'd look at the M&P45, G21SF, and HK45C in that order, but realistically I'd also look into 9mm as an all-around comparable answer. The G19/17, M&P9, HK VP9, and some others are truly phenomenal pistols in 9mm, carry plenty more rounds, and mostly are cheaper to shoot. I don't see 40 being worth that much more on the terminal ballistic end of things, but it can be finicky on glocks (the M&P's were basically designed in 40, and down-converted for 9x19mm), it still costs more and delivers more or less the same projectiles at comparable speeds but it a touch harder on some parts and has a slightly more front-loaded (chronologically) impulse curve, which to me feels closer to a snap than push.

To get anywhere with comparative pistol stuff, you're going to have to read a ton to really be happy with the answer. My personal reasoning on the 45/40 edge going to the M&P is magazine capacity and that the M&P system feels a touch softer for me to shoot - utterly subjective, but the larger calibers I can notice a split time difference. Also, light mounting doesn't have any problematic generations (which some of the non-9mm glocks have had), and for a defensive pistol being able to run a weaponlight is something I consider basically mandatory. If you can wrap your head around the meat of the latest FBI justification for recommending 9x19mm exclusively, (basically using good bonded JHP loads that can handle some barriers penetration wise but still deform and retain mass in soft targets is any caliber is ideal, and once solid BJHP is used the difference between calibers is minimal with regard to stopping fights), then going to 9mm changes that a bit - in 9x19mm if you don't require an external thumb safety, the G17/G19/G26 trio is still functionally unbeatable for stock accuracy, reliability, consistency, and aftermarket support. They're also cheap, so no reason not to look very seriously at that.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 10-22-14 at 11:40.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks guys

Feedback Score
    Wicked Willis and TheLlama provided a good response. I'd only add that how / if you plan to carry also factors in. For instance, you may not feel comfortable carrying AIWB with a striker without a safety, which would steer you towards the M&P vs Glock. Need to determine what you want the pistol to do to really know what you want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dylank0723 View Post
    Does it give much more stopping power than 9mm? Or enough to make a really difference
    No. No point in not going with 9MM. It's cheaper, easier to shoot.

Caliber war in 5, 4, 3...........
    Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Good decision??

B...B...But I've heard that a .45 will split a man's torso clean in half with just one shot.

Seriously though, in a SHTF scenario, capacity is king, or at least that's how I imagine it. I'd rather have 15 rounds at my immediate disposal than 7-10.

Most important factor, 9mm is affordable to practice with. Go buy enough 45 for an afternoon 500-round practice session and come back to tell us about it. I don't buy ANY factory ammo anymore and still couldn't afford to shoot my own 45 reloads.

ETA: the best choice of a handgun is the most reliable one that YOU shoot well and can afford. Do your research and shoot as many as you can before purchasing.

Tapatalk'd
    Last edited by MikeDawg46L; 01-07-15 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks guys

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234