Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why no love for the 243

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

why no love for the 243

I have been looking into a bolt gun for a while. I first started thinking in 308, then I read and article on the owner of GA Precision, and his straight 243. Once I started looking into the 243 I realized with a new barrel something like 1 in 7.75 twist, and the 115s the 243 can compete with most any short action caliber out there.

So im asking you guys with more experience is there something im missing? Im not worried about ammo I reload so thats not a problem, and at most this thing would see 2000 rounds a year. Its hard to get to a range that is longer than the one in my backyard, so it would only get shot on the occasions I get to shoot past 300. The 2000 rounds a year at this point may not happen in 2 years. Being able to shoot in my backyard I do shoot frequently. I just could not justify shooting something like this more than once or twice a month at home.

So any info from anybody on 243 that I could be missing please chime in.
    Last edited by jstone; 09-18-14 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Plain and simple - accurate as hell, mild recoil and a sh*t ton of outstanding bullets to choose from. Thats the up side...
    Downside - it's a notorious barrel burner and considered and overbore cartridge - brutal on throats. 2000 rds?? Thats 25% into your second barrel.

Look at all the other "accurate" 6mm's - 6X, 6XC, even the 6 x 22-250 only uses 30-32 grains of powder to get in the upper 2800-2900 velocity range.
    Most 243 loads use 30% more powder that the 30-32 and achieve the same velocities.

There are a lot of far better, more efficient 6mm's out there than the old 243.
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Plain and simple - accurate as hell, mild recoil and a sh*t ton of outstanding bullets to choose from. Also tons of brass - easy to feed through mags as it is an offspring of the 308. Thats the up side...
    Downside - it's a notorious barrel burner and considered and overbore cartridge - brutal on throats. 2000 rds?? Thats 25% into your second barrel.

Look at all the other "accurate" 6mm's - 6X, 6XC, even the 6 x 22-250 only uses 30-32 grains of powder to get in the upper 2800-2900 velocity range.
    Most 243 loads use 30% more powder that the 30-32 and achieve the same velocities.

There are a lot of far better, more efficient 6mm's out there than the old 243.
    It is still regardless of the negatives above an extemely accurate round and very popular - capable of competing / winning in almost any game.
    Last edited by opsoff1; 09-18-14 at 15:50.
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Barrells burn out that fast. 2000 rounds being 25% into the second barrel. I knew it would toast barrels pretty quickly, but a barrel every 1600 or so rounds is crazy.

Can those other 6mms you listed push the 115s to 2800-2900fps. I would like to use the 115s for this. I plan on running one bullet, this set up will serve only one purpose. Beginning long range shooting. I have shot mid ranges at steel, and can score regular hits out to 500 on targets just shy of 2 moa. My plates 8 inches square.

Now I would like to try shooting some groups on paper and working on fundamentals. If those cartridges you listed can at least get the 105 amax to the numbers you posted, I will pick from one you listed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In a word - yes. You can drive the 115 to that velocity fairly easily. However - this is dependent on bbl length. I'd say minimum length would be in the 28" range.
    If you want more data - read this - http://www.6mmbr.com/6XC.html
    The 6XC is a very very capable round.
    opsoff

Feedback Score
    Most of the 6mm cartridges that push the 105gr bullets to the 3000fps mark are going to be pretty rough on barrels. If barrel life is a concern maybe on of the 6.5mm offerings like the creedmore would be a better fit.

That being said I just got my first .243 back from the smith last month. Launching 105gr berger hybrids at 3000fps using h1000. I don't have the time or funds to shoot very often. So I imagine the barrel will last me a while. I primarily got it for predator hunting and smacking steel. I think it will fill those rolls perfectly.

Feedback Score
    most matches put a velocity limit on the 6 / 6.5 mil projos at 3150 or 3200 for a reason. not hard to hit those numbers with short actions and cases smaller than 308win

the 20* neck means more brass flow/ case trimming

it's also a long case and short neck.
    a shorter case and longer neck is generally preferred.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was looking at something based on the 308 case, but with bullets that had a better bc for there weight. Im going to look into the various 6mm, and maybe the 7-08. I was not to worried about burning out barrels, but if I could get the barrel life closer to 4k I would be ok with that.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    6mm Creedmoor and 6x47 Lapua are more efficient than the .243 Win. That being said, at 2k rounds per year as an average, you will most likely be re-barreling every 8 months or so. Still a small price to pay for Performance. There are no free lunches. Everything is a Trade Off.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To your original post jstone, if not 308 and just plinking out back @ 300
    why not just a real nice 223 (cheaper)(lotta choices) however if ammo is not an issue...
    Unless you want a bit more knock down power say for hunting
    243 is a round you can drive tacks with all day long
    Does make a very nice varmint rifle also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast