Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would cause not being able to pull the slide back on a loaded Glock?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

What would cause not being able to pull the slide back on a loaded Glock?

I installed a threaded Storm Lake barrel on my Gen 4 G19 a while ago, and shot it today for the first time. I got it to run a suppressor, which isn't out of NFA Jail yet.

Once, I had a failure to feed where the slide almost went entirely into battery but didn't. I did a tap rack bang and all was good until I had a loaded round in the chamber about 20 minutes later when the range went cold.

I could not pull the slide back and eject the live round. It was locked in there. We had to ensure everyone had ear pro on and was back behind the firing line and I shot the round into the dirt - functioned perfectly.

My questions: What would cause this? What would fix it? Ammo used on the FTF was Blazer brass, the "stuck" round was Remington 115gr ammo.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I have no idea really. I've seen this same malfunction three times with two different Gen 4 19s a few years ago.

All I could come up with was the extractor somehow got wedged just right, locking everything up.

I was able to hammer the slide open and inspect the round, load it back into a mag, and fire it without a problem in the guns it just jammed.

Made me quit carrying them things...

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Reloads? My guess would be a bullet not seated far enough and was stuck in the lands or a primer not seated fully causing the case to not be fully seated in the primer pocket. If it is factory, who knows. I would have table jammed the round and inspected it before firing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What cause you to swap barrels?
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Rounds loaded on the long side. Rounds without a proper crimp, dirt or grit in your chamber that could cause excess friction between the case and the chamber walls.

A round can become wedged into the rifling resulting in a stuck case. The proper way to clear this is to hold the slide with your left hand as hard as you can with an over hand grip and jam your right hand using the web between your thumb and index finger into the back of the grip. You're essentially "mortaring" the pistol. It is the same concept as clearing a stuck case from an AR15.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    What cause you to swap barrels?
    Read the post. He swapped barrels to run a suppressor bud.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    I have the same setup for my 19 and it ran great right from the start. I'm curious if yours is a 17 barrel and not a 19?
    Just measured the one I'm running, it's 4 5/8" long.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Hmm. Thanks for the replies.

Definitely a G19 Storm Lake barrel, not a 17.

The ammo is factory. I can get the exact round if anyone is interested, but they are Blazer brass and Remington ammo.

I didn't know the mortaring trick with the pistol. I'll have to try it if it happens again.

The barrel was brand new - could a packing oil (although none appeared present) cause this sort of issue? Can't see how dirt would get in the chamber. Maybe the chamber is under sized?

Also, I have shot The pistol with factory ammo and the factory barrel and not had this problem - just not either of these brands.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll have to agree with what has already been said.. Round/s that were too long, Possibly a short chamber, Check both..
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I used to have this issue when doing dry fire drills with snap caps. I used the a-zoom ones. When the snap caps would get old and the rims were chewed up is when I noticed this problem the most. How did the rims on the rounds look?
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast