Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun for HD: Heresy?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    Like you, I was curious and I am also open to learning. I tried it and found out very quickly that loading the 870 magazine with the action open is very difficult, as you described. The only way I could see to do this easily would be to fully load the tube, open the action (and leave it open), remove the shell that dropped onto the carrier and load that last single round back into the tube (which is not easy).

Another way of running that with an 870 (not sure about a mossy) if you half-stroke the action, then use your thumb to push the shell back into the tube, before it drops onto the elevator, you can finish opening the action, with a full tube and an empty/open chamber.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't MY plan. (I'm much more comfortable / competent with a pistol) But it can be done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Pick View Post
    Another way of running that with an 870 (not sure about a mossy) if you half-stroke the action, then use your thumb to push the shell back into the tube, before it drops onto the elevator, you can finish opening the action, with a full tube and an empty/open chamber.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't MY plan. (I'm much more comfortable / competent with a pistol) But it can be done.
    You can accomplish the same thing with a Mossberg but it's s little tougher. Barely open the action (probably quarter stroke), then push the shell in the tube in and hold it in while opening the action until the elevator is all the way down. If you do it too harshly or quickly you may pinch your thumb since it pretty much has to make contact with the elevator.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Pick View Post

Yes, I forgot about that. Either way, using that technique or reloading the shell the difficult way to keep the action open and empty is not a method I would use my 870. Thanks.
    Last edited by DWood; 09-30-14 at 09:32.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You think a slug might break bones with a guy wearing a vest or plate? Can somebody throw on a plate and let their buddy hit them up. Don't forget to make a video!

I'm just going Flight control. That stuff impressed me beyond measure.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I'm just going Flight control. That stuff impressed me beyond measure.
    We needed it in Nam!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    When the RO or MD gives the stage briefing, duh. Then you just repeat it in your head. For example: Slug, slug, buck, buck ,buck, slug, ninja roll, buck, buck, buck, buck.

On a serious note, The only time I would ever port load a shotgun is if the magazine was empty. That gets the shotgun up and running then you load or top off mag as time and cover permit. I personally see no use for slugs in a HD situation. I would not be chasing someone with a shotgun in my boxers while fumbling 2 different types of ammo. I also see a shotgun as a defensive weapon. I will not be on offense with it. If all you have is a shotgun, don't trick yourself into thinking you are gonna shoot an engine block 75 yards away as they speed away with your blender. A shotgun is like any other weapon on a empty chamber, worthless unless you have the element of surprise and cool nerves.
    Makes sense.

I did a 3Gun stage with 6 targets that were about 35yards that required one slug each. Not fun on the recoil, but the slug is accurate enough and still deadly. On the range its fine, for HD, I stick with 00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not heresy.

I keep my ARs unloaded and locked in a safe. The mags are out in the garage.

I keep a 18" pump shotgun at the ready, for urban home defense.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    I keep my AR loaded, one in the chamber, with a mag full of Winchester 64gr powerpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Not heresy.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Not heresy.

Why in the garage?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have Ar's, a Rem 870 tactical 18.5 barrel, and a M&P 9mm (soon to have a x300/U on it!

I feel the pistol is better in my situation, have to go grab and carry my 8 month old son into out room.

If you are going to be sitting in a barricaded room, ready for an attack, I would say the AR or Shotgun would work no problem.

IF someone is in the house, I am more then likely not going to go look for them, as long as the family is safe.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast