Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sub $200 solution for locking my ARs up?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ex95B10 View Post
    I have a military surplus Hardigg that can store up to 12 rifles and they can be found on Ebay for about $200.
    The model number is 472-M4-M16-12.
    I actually was looking at these earlier in the week - I was just worried that there may be too much moisture inside? The ARs are fine, but I have a few Shotguns and lever guns that I'd worry about...

Can that be opened when it is standing up in end like that or would it be likely to tip?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Check out what this guy did. It would draw little attention in a garage. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-...-gun-safe.html

Feedback Score
    Just a thought. Buy a bike lock cable for $10 and take the other $190 and save it up until you can get a gun safe or run across one. I had a friend in the Army who outgrew his Cannon safe and I picked it up for $300. I still have it and use it as my quick access safe for HD guns.
    Better equipment doesn’t make you a better shot. Better practice makes you a better shot.

I’m not impressed by a lifetime warranty. I’m impressed by something built to last a lifetime!

American by birth, Veteran by choice!

Eric

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    I actually was looking at these earlier in the week - I was just worried that there may be too much moisture inside? The ARs are fine, but I have a few Shotguns and lever guns that I'd worry about...

Can that be opened when it is standing up in end like that or would it be likely to tip?
    It does stand on its own because it's used as a mobile armory in the military and it also has a pressure relief valve to equalize the air pressure so that you can actually get it open, it is airtight moisture proof.
    RANGE TIME on Facebook
    RANGE TIME on Instagram
    RANGE TIME on Twitter
    NRA Life Member/RSO

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ex95B10 View Post
    It does stand on its own because it's used as a mobile armory in the military and it also has a pressure relief valve to equalize the air pressure so that you can actually get it open, it is airtight moisture proof.
    Hmmm..I still think I'd be inclined to throw in a couple of packets of silica gel or other moisture absorber, especially if the case was going to be located in an area where there was a tendency to get cold/hot.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I'm going to throw in another vote for the Stackon cabinets. They come predrilled and with hardware to bolt it to the floor and wall. They are also definitely thin enough to drill for a hasp lock as I drilled mine to put up a couple of peg board hangers for pistols. I bought mine for exactly the same reason as you and it works well. Obviously it's not as burglar proof as a real safe, but in my area houses are close together and I've never been to a burglary where someone hacked a metal cabinet open so it's certainly better than nothing or an easily cutable cable lock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    I'm going to throw in another vote for the Stackon cabinets. They come predrilled and with hardware to bolt it to the floor and wall. They are also definitely thin enough to drill for a hasp lock as I drilled mine to put up a couple of peg board hangers for pistols. I bought mine for exactly the same reason as you and it works well. Obviously it's not as burglar proof as a real safe, but in my area houses are close together and I've never been to a burglary where someone hacked a metal cabinet open so it's certainly better than nothing or an easily cutable cable lock.
    Great comment as it gets to making an informed risk analysis on why you need a storage cabinet. In my case, I considered fire, other natural disasters, theft and unauthorized use/liability is measuring what my needs are.

If bad guys are bringing in safe cracking tools and have three hours to crack a container in your area, then plan accordingly. In other case, an artfully concealed container may be nearly as effective. We all do this when evaluating potential safes, but the thought process gets too little discussion. It is especially valid to understand what is going on locally and to stress the operational security that lowers your risk.

I do like that Hardigg case...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thank you guys - I'm going to go the stack on Route and wait for a good sale. I saw one at gander and they will be perfect.

Honestly my biggest worry now is the wife being able to actually see how many rifles I own!!!! Might be in big trouble!

At least w my Glocks they all looks the same

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Cabelas has a fairly heavy duty cabinet that was on sale for $199. Also, check out Sentry Safe - they don't offer much for gun safes but they have a pretty sweet one for your Home Defense Gun(s)!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    Honestly my biggest worry now is the wife being able to actually see how many rifles I own!!!! Might be in big trouble!

At least w my Glocks they all looks the same
    As a last resort point to her shoe/knickknack etc... collection. My wife complained about my gun buying until I totaled up all the money she spent at yard sales. Then one day she walked in and said we had an extra $600 and I hadn't bought a gun in a while. The sound of her saying that was still in the air when I headed to the gun store. Of course I must also give full disclosure and point out that I am now divorced.
    Better equipment doesn’t make you a better shot. Better practice makes you a better shot.

I’m not impressed by a lifetime warranty. I’m impressed by something built to last a lifetime!

American by birth, Veteran by choice!

Eric

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast