Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General purpose bolt gun as a back up to my 308 AR

Feedback Score

General purpose bolt gun as a back up to my 308 AR

I have consolidated my armory to .308 and I am looking for a quality, sub $800.00 bolt gun in 308 with iron sights. This would be a back up to my MWS. The main features I am Looking for are:

<22" barrel
    Iron sights
    Reliability
    3-4 Moa accuracy or better with ball ammo
    Light weight (< 9lbs)

I plan to put a medium priced 1-4 variable with capped turrets on it and my application would be 25-400 yds, field positions shooting.

I have looked at the savage hog hunter and the mossberg mvp patrol ( don't really care about detachable mags) but I am curious if there are other options out there that meet my needs? I am pretty new to bolt guns. Any info would be great!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Remington 700
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Mossberg MVP patrol model. It uses Sr25 and m1a magazines, and assuming your 308 ar is an sr25 pattern, not an armalite ar10, it uses magazines you already have in abundance. The action is robust, and stupid simple. It has williams firesights that are easy to pick up, and quickly get on target.
    There is also the Savage hog hunter, which my wife absolutely loves. The rifle is pretty sweet, and has very good irons. The only reason I didn't go with it was for the magazines. My wife bought one as her hunting rifle, though neither my mvp nor her savage have glass mounted as of yet. We both shoot them under 3 inches at 50 yards with irons.
    Last edited by roadsterjosh; 09-20-14 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadsterjosh View Post
    Mossberg MVP patrol model. It uses Sr25 and m1a magazines, and assuming your 308 ar is an sr25 pattern, not an armalite ar10, it uses magazines you already have in abundance. The action is robust, and stupid simple. It has williams firesights that are easy to pick up, and quickly get on target.
    I would second that suggestion. Maybe not quite as "quality" as some other bolt guns, but I am sure it will get the job done and sharing the magazines is a very nice feature. I held one and it shouldered pretty nice and the sights were very easy to pickup. also has a rail mounted on it already if you wanted to add an optic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    Remington 700
    Remington 700 AAC-SD.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate all of the input guys! I will explore those options. I have been looking pretty hard at the mossberg and the savage hog hunter. Does anyone make good quality aftermarket stocks for these? The factory ones look to be lacking but I could be wrong. Are the action and extraction types on those 2 rifles reliable? Thanks again for the help all.

Feedback Score
    There is a company making a stock for the mossberg, but for the life of me I can't remember which company. I'll do some research and find it.
    I like the stock on both, and for my purpose I see no need to replace either.
    Both are push feed, which I prefer to controlled feed. Push feed is known to be very robust and able to eek out just a little bit more accuracy. Most guys shooting 1000 yard comps are using custom made push feed actions.
    The extraction on both the hog hunter and mvp are claw type, both my wife and I have had no issues with extraction. The mvp has been reliable for more than 1k rounds, and the action has gotten much smoother in that time.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Yeah... the OP's needs are just what the scout was aimed at.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I am leaning heavily toward the mossberg at the moment. It doesn't seem as refined as the ruger but I really like the mag commonality with my MWS and they seem to get decent enough reviews. If I were going for sniper grade accuracy I'd definitely go Remington and the ruger seems nice and I haven't ruled it out but I have read reports of less than great accuracy and for a gun as well put together and a decent amount more than the mossy or the savage on top of more expensive mags, it doesn't seem to offer a whole lot over the mossberg.

Roadsterjosh, thanks for the knowledge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast