Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me into or out of a 1911

Feedback Score

Talk me into or out of a 1911

I don't even want to repeat the positives and negatives I've heard and read over the years because I don't want to bias anybody or stop a potentially valuable post.

The fact is: I shoot a 1911 very well mostly due to the single action trigger.

But it's an old school gun and supposedly there are better choices.

What say you?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I owned one for a few years. Great gun, but not my first choice for anything but recreational shooting. Being on a limited budget, I cant keep pistols in the stable that don't get used often, so I sold it. Would I buy another? Sure if I had enough funds after everything else I want.

No matter what, they will always be an American iconic firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it's going to be your only gun, probably not the best choice. Then again, what is the intended use?

I've got a few 1911s because they just feel like a pistol oughta feel. They got some heft to 'em. And when you're willing to pay the freight, you can get a firearm of exceptional quality and craftsmanship that you just don't see in polymer pistols.

Plus they're a gun with some history to 'em.

If you shoot a 1911 well and you have the means, why wouldn't you want one?

Feedback Score
    Appreciate it for what it is. And then move on from it because of what it isn't. If you really try, you can master the Glock trigger in a few weeks or maybe less. It will pleasantly surprise you with its abilities. Get yourself a G19.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't think there is anything wrong with 'old school guns'. Years ago, I transitioned from revolvers to 1911s, then after seeing the benefits I added my Glocks, HK, PPQ, M9 - still have 'em and train with 'em.
    I agree, purpose is key - I would not solely depend on one of my 1911s to defend the motherland. But if you want one, can shoot it and have the funds, I say go for it, they're a lot of fun. To paraphrase something I heard a while back - 1911 owners are like Harley owners. If you like it and want to take the time & effort to learn, love and maintain it then go for it. If you want a lawnmower................. well you get the idea. What do I know?
    Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by Ranger325; 01-08-14 at 13:37.
    Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    You gotta pay to play... I say go for it.

I think 1911s are totally worth it, it's all I shoot anymore. I used to shoot Glock 9mms exclusively, trainied on Sigs and Berettas quite a bit, carried a Hi Power for awhile. Other guns are lighter and hold more ammo, but that's where the discussion ends. A 1911 can do everything else better.

NOTHING measures up to a 1911.

Get one or two built right and you'll wonder why you ever wasted your time/money on anything else.

My 1911s have been, and are, as reliable as any other handgun I've ever owned.

The naysayers are usually just cheapskates. All it takes to make a 1911 run is money...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    The naysayers are usually just cheapskates. All it takes to make a 1911 run is money...
    This I have come to accept as The Truth.

I prefer revolvers for home defense, and I'm getting away from tactical tupperware because I'm just old school enough to prefer a steel gun with a steel frame, barrel, and whatnot. I've finally made peace with S&W's airweight J-frames, but only after endless praise on their durability from various sources. The Glock trigger is the hardest thing to accept about that pistol. I can make a 1911 put one hole on top of another at defense distances.

Still, I hate the idea the thing has to be babied, tweaked, smithed, adjusted, fitted, matched, etc., to get it to run and keep running.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 01-08-14 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Still, I hate the idea the thing has to be babied, tweaked, smithed, adjusted, fitted, matched, etc., to get it to run and keep running.
    I'm certainly no expert and my experience is purely anecdotal, but I bought a used MC Operator a few years ago and used it in two classes, probably 400-500 rounds each class. Never had a hiccup. I've never done anything but field strip it, give it a wipe down, and keep it lubed.

A decent 1911 is a lot less finicky than the intergoogle would suggest.

Feedback Score
    They're beautiful, but so are Kentucky flintlock squirrel rifles. For EDC, they're a no go.

If it's a standard size, they're too big, too heavy, hard to conceal and I haven't shot one that didn't consistently malfunction.

Ammo cost is prohibitive too if you're talking .45.

Sorry, but 9 mm tupperware pistols are far more efficient to carry, conceal, ammo is less costly and they're overall more dependable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    I'm certainly no expert and my experience is purely anecdotal, but I bought a used MC Operator a few years ago and used it in two classes, probably 400-500 rounds each class. Never had a hiccup. I've never done anything but field strip it, give it a wipe down, and keep it lubed.

A decent 1911 is a lot less finicky than the intergoogle would suggest.
    Agreed, lube it and it will run. Been my experience anyway.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast