Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: school me on MRE's

Feedback Score
    The military issue MREs are designed to supply a full day's worth of calories in a small package. They do contain a fair amount of sodium and many of the main meals are fairly tasty, better with the supplied Tabasco. They work as advertised though I would not want to rely on them long term without vitamin supplements.

As far as the back end effort- oh yeah, you will have some massive dumps come day 2+ ��

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    A single MRE does not come close to a full days calories unless you are a North Korean. They run. 1100-1300 calories per meal if you consume everything in the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckpatriot View Post
    The military issue MREs are designed to supply a full day's worth of calories in a small package. They do contain a fair amount of sodium and many of the main meals are fairly tasty, better with the supplied Tabasco. They work as advertised though I would not want to rely on them long term without vitamin supplements.

As far as the back end effort- oh yeah, you will have some massive dumps come day 2+ 😰
    Maybe they did at one point, but not in the last decade for sure.

Hell, we'd eat 3 MREs and a couple granloa or cliff bars a day and still be losing weight!
    Last edited by Koshinn; 10-21-14 at 12:52.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Maybe they did at one point, but not in the last decade for sure.
    Yeah, back around the Desert Storm timeframe in '91 when MREs were new and exciting to the public, I saw news stories on them talking about how they contained 3000-5000 calories each, or something like that. A decade or so later after I came on active duty, I remember a revised study being publicized about how they actually only contained about 1500-1800 each. I'm sure it would be easy to look up, but the Army's planning factor is normally three per day per soldier, and we get extra supplements on top of that, as I mentioned earlier. Ideally one meal a day is a hot one (e.g. UGRs), but that's not always possible.

Dave

Feedback Score
    One thing to look out for with MRE's are the dates. There are two. The pack date and the inspection date. Go by the pack date and not the inspection date. Be aware of how they have been stored if possible. The cooler the better. 40 deg.F is ideal. We keep some in a dedicated veggie bin in the fridge. Also note, the newer MRE's no longer have matches or the little bottle of Tabasco.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jens5 View Post
    One thing to look out for with MRE's are the dates. There are two. The pack date and the inspection date. Go by the pack date and not the inspection date. Be aware of how they have been stored if possible. The cooler the better. 40 deg.F is ideal. We keep some in a dedicated veggie bin in the fridge. Also note, the newer MRE's no longer have matches or the little bottle of Tabasco.
    We have new mre's at my unit and they have matches in them and little packets of Tabasco or pepper sauce depending on the MRE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    We have new mre's at my unit and they have matches in them and little packets of Tabasco or pepper sauce depending on the MRE

Weird. Just got 10 cases of new near Bragg and was surprised to see, no matches or Tabasco. 2014 pack dates. Read about the phenomena of missing a-fore mentioned but thought it to be scuttlebutt.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234