Thread: Retro Dissipator-ish parts/build questions

Feedback Score

Retro Dissipator-ish parts/build questions

I'll start by saying that this will not be historically accurate. This is to have a reasonably light, soft-shooting gun that looks somewhat retro, I'm not trying to copy any specific model (although I'm not opposed to doing so). I'm planning on using some modern improvements, like a Nitrided barrel, and maybe a BCG finished in some way other than phosphate (maybe not though).

The parts that I have in mind:
    VooDoo 16.5" lightweight rifle gassed barrel
    NoDak Spud 601-style lower (probably)

Upper: I'm not as sure on this. I want something with a dust cover but no deflector or FA. I might try to find a used upper, I might wait for the next batch of NDS-604, or I might go with their top charging setup. Does anyone have experience with a top charger?
    Handguard: A1 style
    Grip: A1 style
    Stock: Not sure. Probably an entry length fixed stock like the RRA:

Front sight: The VooDoo barrel sadly has a .750 gas block seat, so I'll probably end up using an A2 FSB. I'd prefer .625 and A1 style but don't know of a good barrel.

I'm happy to use repro parts in cases where good quality ones are available at a better price than original. Any suggestions on where to find the furniture? I'm in California and some places don't like shipping stuff here, even though there are no legal issues unless it's magazines.

If anyone has recommendations for parts other than the ones listed, or knows of any issues with the parts, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For a barrel, you may want to consider this one.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...16lw%20std.htm

The upper you described is an A1 slickside upper. It has the port door, but no FA or deflector. The NDS-604 upper is perfect if you cannot find an original. I need to find one myself.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I want rifle gassed, not midlength.

Feedback Score
    Here is my Dissipator. It's a Bushmaster, it's a late 90s model.
    You can look at the picture and get an idea of what you need.
    This is unmodified and all original.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ADDICTED2TONE; 10-17-14 at 21:09.

Feedback Score
    A true rifle length dissipator??
    I didn't even know anyone made a 16"-16.5" rifle length barrel, I was under the impression that it created some reliability issues due to it's really bad dwell-time.

What you want is a 16" dissipator barrel, with a mid-length port and a fixed FSB at the rifle length position.

Colt tried making a rifle length 15" called the 605a.
    Bad dwell time
    Bushmaster makes the new dissipator barrels with low pro blocks along with a fixed FSB.

Feedback Score
    20141028_153421.jpg

This is a mock dissipator I built using a mid-length gas 16" barrel and a clamp on FSP. I haven't fired it yet, waiting for a couple of small parts to finish it off. The CAR type stock is a departure from the original dissipator also.

This is the barrel I used.
    Last edited by overdriv; 11-04-14 at 13:57.

Feedback Score
    A 16" barrel with RLGS isn't that bad actually, and is a very pleasant handling gun if balanced right.

I did a Colt Model 605A retro clone, using RLGS but a 15 3/4" barrel. It runs fine on XM193F in warm weather, but I haven't shot it in extreme cold yet, which was the problem with the 605, as well as automatic fire.

The Colt RO605A and RO605B were meant to be dismounted Infantry Leader carbines, and if they had been set up with a dissipator gas system, I think they could have been a great all-round carbine.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-12-15 at 11:16.

Feedback Score
    Here is mine....

Last edited by coctailer; 11-16-14 at 07:41.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    If you are trying to get a RELIABLE Rifle length gas on a 16'" Barrel, Buy a BCM 20 inch and send it to ADCO. They can cut it correctly and open up the gas port for proper cycling and dwell time

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coctailer View Post
    Here is mine....

I want that ^ ^ ^

That is a totally awesome set up!