In 1981 I was setting up inservice training programs for physicians, medical assistants, and nurses employed by the Texas prison system. The purpose was to obtain accreditation and of course to improve performance. Medical assistants were the back bone of the medical system at that time. Few had training beyond EMT programs. Yet they did everything. A severely critical error committed by them was sewing up stabbing or deep puncture wounds as a first step. The same treatment was carried out for any other wound big or small. Debridement of damaged and contaminated tissue didn't occur. The next step was placing the patient in an ambulance for a long trip to a hospital that contracted for inmate care.

So, my point is if a guy has a kit for suturing, does he know when not to do it as a treatment step? Few medical treatment staff knew how to intubate a patient. I encouraged them to practice on recently deceased inmates before they were carried out for burial in a prison cemetery.

Benadryl in large dosages has a mild sedative effect. The same given along with amitriptyline is even more effective. This treatment was probably out of fashion 35 years ago. But, it is cheap and safe.