Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the VP9 the death of the P30?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Is the VP9 the death of the P30?

Before the release of the VP9 the P30 sold like hotcakes, however now that the VP9 is out its seems that the P30's just sit on the shelf. So when you look at both pistols why would anyone still pick the P30 over the VP9 unless they were strictly looking for a DA/SA action? I mean I've seen VP9's go for $549.99 which is $250 less than I've seen P30's for sale anywhere. So will the VP9 be the death of the P30?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    So when you look at both pistols why would anyone still pick the P30 over the VP9 unless they were strictly looking for a DA/SA action? ...So will the VP9 be the death of the P30?
    Kind of answered your own question. Not everyone wants or is comfortable with a striker fired pistol of the Glock/VP9 layout. There's still plenty of people, especially AIWB concealed carriers, who prefer DA/SA, LEM, or manual safety equipped pistols for the extra margins of safety provided. I personally won't get a VP9 until they release a manual safety version.

The VP9 will definitely take a large bite out of P30 sales (it being significantly cheaper as wll as "the new hotness" helps too), but the P30 is not going anywhere.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 09-26-14 at 02:51.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I doubt it. H&K sort of makes a gun for every category. P30 for your double action types, and for those who otherwise might select a Glock with a NY trigger for safety reasons (std LEM). The Vp9 is for folks who like the simplicity and don't mind the safety compromises of a striker, but don't want to deal with the QC drama of a Glock or Smith.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    P30's were selling like hotcakes? I see some portion of the forum populations have them. I sure don't see many out in the wild. There was a 45C at the Hack class I attended though.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I know P30 and HK45s were tough to find in the NE but I'm not sure if thats a result of price, marketing, HK not shipping a lot of them, etc. I recall almost every LGS having some variation of the USP both new and used in there display cases. I also noticed they were sitting there for quite a long time as opposed to other manufactures guns. I'm surprised the USP is holding its own in the face of the P2000 series, HK45 series and P30 line. It would seem logical for HK to drop or reduce the USP line, IMO. From what Ive read and seen, the VP9 is definitely going to be a "family" of guns (compact , long slide/ tactical, different cal. etc.)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm still good with my P30 - I'm sure some people who would buy a P30 will consider / buy a VP9 now but those who want DA/SA, SA w/safety, or LEM will still go P30.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Before the release of the VP9 the P30 sold like hotcakes, however now that the VP9 is out its seems that the P30's just sit on the shelf. So when you look at both pistols why would anyone still pick the P30 over the VP9 unless they were strictly looking for a DA/SA action? I mean I've seen VP9's go for $549.99 which is $250 less than I've seen P30's for sale anywhere. So will the VP9 be the death of the P30?
    I would have thought so, but we are still selling P30's so I don't know.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GNXII View Post
    I know P30 and HK45s were tough to find in the NE but I'm not sure if thats a result of price, marketing, HK not shipping a lot of them, etc. I recall almost every LGS having some variation of the USP both new and used in there display cases. I also noticed they were sitting there for quite a long time as opposed to other manufactures guns. I'm surprised the USP is holding its own in the face of the P2000 series, HK45 series and P30 line. It would seem logical for HK to drop or reduce the USP line, IMO. From what Ive read and seen, the VP9 is definitely going to be a "family" of guns (compact , long slide/ tactical, different cal. etc.)
    Some people still want a USP for what it is and dont desire the "upgrades" of the newer pistols. Why would some one buy a 1911 when their are newer designs available ?

IMO
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    I own several HK pistols to include the P30 and VP9. The P30 is my issued sidearm for duty use and I use the VP9 for gun games. I carry AIWB when not in uniform, so a hammer is a must. The P30 is my do all platform and the P2000SK is my discreet carry pistol. They all have their place.

Back to the topic, nobody here can tell you whether or not the P30 will remain an item in the HK catalog. Only HK can answer specifics like that and guess what, they won't tell you. It is a safe assumption that the VP9 has impacted P30 sales, how could it not?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    After owning many striker guns I have come to the realization that I prefer DA/SA guns better. I also own a P30 and really like it. Would love to get the long slide V3 someday.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast