Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Best 1911 carry handgun off the shelf $1,000 or under

Feedback Score
    I have only recently come to own a Springfield TRP Operator, having traded my DW Valor for it due to the Valor being a pistol I could never consistently group. The TRP quickly became my favorite 1911 of all time due to me shooting a rested 50 yard 5 round group that had 4 of the 5 go into a single hole that measured 5/8 inch. The fifth round opened the group up to 3 1/8 inches. I have never done that before with any pistol, and I will never come close to doing that again, but I just love this pistol.

Because the TRP shot so well, I decided to get something from SA to use as a carry piece. I did not consider the Champion Operator because of the alloy frame. I am a firm believer in all steel for my 1911s, no aluminum. At Camp Perry in 2011, SA showed up with some of their display model pistols that had been left over from earlier shows. One of the pieces they had was a Custom Shop Champion Operator that was all steel. Dave (I believe it was Dave) explained to me that he had made it and several others himself because the alloy frames had not shown up in time for the show. It was perfect, and I would have bought it if I had not just purchased other rifles. I was thinking of that pistol when I handled the alloy framed Champion Operator, and danged if that did not feel just as good as the steel one. Very light and well made. I bought that a couple of weeks ago and finally got to shoot it tonight. Light but recoil was soft, and the trigger was excellent. The tritium sights made it easy to hit the steel silhouette at 25 yards in almost complete dark (25 minutes after sunset). For less than $1,000, I have the best carry piece I have ever owned. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
    Last edited by monadh; 12-04-14 at 00:36.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789