I live in Canada so I can't use standard capacity 30 rd mags as they are prohibited. Without going into too much detail for brevity sake (I can elaborate if desired), my two best options are either to use LAR mags (10 round capacity) or put 5.56 into .50 Beowulf mags (14 round capacity max, 12-13 to be more reliable). The issues are that LAR mags are so short, it can be difficult to strip them in case of a malfunction and I can't use them as a monopod when going prone. My .50 Beowulf mags are polymer and the top portion is not very stiff and it flares open and the rounds have a tendency to pop off or walk forward. While practicing, I once had a very bad malfunction where the tip of the round got caught in the chamber, but racking the charging handle wouldn't load it and the magazine got stuck. Also, I have a Redi-Mag and after installing it, the Beowulf mags don't drop free anymore but they don't take much effort to strip.

As this is for a HD set-up and since I am very limited in capacity, I am trying to think of ways to enhance the capacity on my rifle since I don't think I will have time to put on a war belt or chest rig when responding to the proverbial bump in the night. This is also why I got a Redi-mag.

Here are the options I am considering:

1. Two LAR mags with magwedge coupler, connected bottom to bottom. I was thinking of putting TAPCO dust covers on the bottom to prevent the rounds from walking out. With this set-up, and with a Red-Mag, I can have 40 rounds on my rifle. Cons - reloads can be awkward but could be smoother with practice. One more step in the reload process with removing the dust covers.

LAR15-223MagKit.jpg

2. LAR mags with ranger plates. Mitigates the short length of the mags in case I need to strip them if a malfunction occurs. Capacity = 20 rounds with two mags.

3. LAR mags with mag extension. index.jpg - Same pros as above but probably better set-up as I can go prone and use it as a monopod. I can also put the mags into pouches in a chest rig or battle belt and be able to grab them. This would be for a different application, ie running and gunning, as the HD set up would just be the rifle with the Redi-mag.

4. Two Beowulf mags (with the Redi-mag). 26 - 28 round capacity. Longer than LAR mags but still not as long as 30 rd mags. If I can find the steel ones maybe they are more reliable but they have been out of production for a long time.

Comments and suggestions will be most appreciated.