Thread: Ideas on which mag set-up to use for HD

Feedback Score

Ideas on which mag set-up to use for HD

I live in Canada so I can't use standard capacity 30 rd mags as they are prohibited. Without going into too much detail for brevity sake (I can elaborate if desired), my two best options are either to use LAR mags (10 round capacity) or put 5.56 into .50 Beowulf mags (14 round capacity max, 12-13 to be more reliable). The issues are that LAR mags are so short, it can be difficult to strip them in case of a malfunction and I can't use them as a monopod when going prone. My .50 Beowulf mags are polymer and the top portion is not very stiff and it flares open and the rounds have a tendency to pop off or walk forward. While practicing, I once had a very bad malfunction where the tip of the round got caught in the chamber, but racking the charging handle wouldn't load it and the magazine got stuck. Also, I have a Redi-Mag and after installing it, the Beowulf mags don't drop free anymore but they don't take much effort to strip.

As this is for a HD set-up and since I am very limited in capacity, I am trying to think of ways to enhance the capacity on my rifle since I don't think I will have time to put on a war belt or chest rig when responding to the proverbial bump in the night. This is also why I got a Redi-mag.

Here are the options I am considering:

1. Two LAR mags with magwedge coupler, connected bottom to bottom. I was thinking of putting TAPCO dust covers on the bottom to prevent the rounds from walking out. With this set-up, and with a Red-Mag, I can have 40 rounds on my rifle. Cons - reloads can be awkward but could be smoother with practice. One more step in the reload process with removing the dust covers.

LAR15-223MagKit.jpg

2. LAR mags with ranger plates. Mitigates the short length of the mags in case I need to strip them if a malfunction occurs. Capacity = 20 rounds with two mags.

3. LAR mags with mag extension. index.jpg - Same pros as above but probably better set-up as I can go prone and use it as a monopod. I can also put the mags into pouches in a chest rig or battle belt and be able to grab them. This would be for a different application, ie running and gunning, as the HD set up would just be the rifle with the Redi-mag.

4. Two Beowulf mags (with the Redi-mag). 26 - 28 round capacity. Longer than LAR mags but still not as long as 30 rd mags. If I can find the steel ones maybe they are more reliable but they have been out of production for a long time.

Comments and suggestions will be most appreciated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    The law states that "magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges." Key words are "designed or manufactured for". So if I have a magazine designed or manufactured for an AR, it must be pinned to 5 rounds. The LAR and Beowulf mags are legal "loopholes". The restriction for handguns is ten rounds. Since LAR mags were manufactured for a pistol, and there is no law prohibiting me from using it in a rifle, then I can have 10 rounds for my AR if I use LAR mags. Also, Beowulf mags pinned to 5 rounds of .50 Beowulf can hold up to 14 rounds of .223/5.56. There is no law prohibiting me from putting different cartridges in there. So that's why I can have 14 rounds of .223 for my AR if I use Beowulf mags pinned to 5 rounds of .50 Beowulf.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well in that case I would stick with LAR mags being the more reliable.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    I know in commiefornia >10 rounders in an ar are a big no no (depending on this and on that) anyways, a bunch of guys would get 30 rounders and just pin them to only accept 10 rounds. Not sure if that helps you, but thought I'd throw it out there

Feedback Score
    Use the most reliable legal option available and forget about the "magazine monopod" issue as a factor, it won't matter a whit in a HD scenario. On my last US Army rifle qual I was kicking myself because I didn't use the magazine as a monopod on the prone unsupported stage with shots to 300m...I still qualified expert.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you have court cases or letters from the Canadian equivalent of our BATF to confirm that:

'Beowulf mags pinned to 5 rounds of .50 Beowulf can hold up to 14 rounds of .223/5.56. There is no law prohibiting me from putting different cartridges in there.'

Because this seems pretty limiting:

'magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges.'

It seems to me the intent is to limit you to no more than 5 cartridges. Note, it says 'limited to five cartridges.'

I don't know what the penalties for infractions of this law are in Canada, but in the United States they are severe enough that I wouldn't be making decisions off of my interpretation of the wording of the law unless someone else has already trod the ground and I have a precedent to follow.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-09-14 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Do you have court cases or letters from the Canadian equivalent of our BATF to confirm that:

'Beowulf mags pinned to 5 rounds of .50 Beowulf can hold up to 14 rounds of .223/5.56. There is no law prohibiting me from putting different cartridges in there.'

Because this seems pretty limiting:

'magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges.'

It seems to me the intent is to limit you to no more than 5 cartridges. Note, it says 'limited to five cartridges.'

I don't know what the penalties for infractions of this law are in Canada, but in the United States they are severe enough that I wouldn't be making decisions off of my interpretation of the wording of the law unless someone else has already trod the ground and I have a precedent to follow.
    Thanks for your concern but I am sure of the legality. Please see this bulletin from the RCMP, our equivalent of your FBI only that they have powers regarding firearms issues/legislation, and I can clarify further anything that doesn't seem to be clear.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/b...323-72-eng.htm

ETA: It's quite common knowledge here in Canada, for gun owners at least and esp. those into tactical shooting, that this is legal.
    Last edited by llO0DQLE; 11-10-14 at 19:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strambo View Post
    Use the most reliable legal option available and forget about the "magazine monopod" issue as a factor, it won't matter a whit in a HD scenario. On my last US Army rifle qual I was kicking myself because I didn't use the magazine as a monopod on the prone unsupported stage with shots to 300m...I still qualified expert.
    This is pretty much what I thought as well. The plastic Beowulf mags are not very reliable so I'm using 2 LAR mags coupled at the bottom as seen in the video in my OP. My only concern with this is how it affects my muscle memory with my reloads. I figured that having a battle belt on is not really something I'd do in real life, aside from gun games such as 3 gun, as I'm a civilian. I have practiced reloading with this setup with a Redi-mag and practiced both left and right. It's slower than reloading from a battle belt but I don't think I'd have time to don a battle belt in a HD situation. This way, I grab my AR and I have 20 rds in the Redi-mag, grab another 2 LAR mags coupled and I have 40 rounds ready to go.

If you guys have any suggestions, critique or comments, please let me know..thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by llO0DQLE View Post
    Thanks for your concern but I am sure of the legality. Please see this bulletin from the RCMP, our equivalent of your FBI only that they have powers regarding firearms issues/legislation, and I can clarify further anything that doesn't seem to be clear.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/b...323-72-eng.htm

ETA: It's quite common knowledge here in Canada, for gun owners at least and esp. those into tactical shooting, that this is legal.
    Not being a Canadian I was unfamiliar with that particular bulletin. Thanks for the information.