Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First spotting scope purchase, budget vs top notch

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elnino31 View Post
    If you look around for deals on the for sale threads, you'd be surprised at the quality of spotter that's possible to pick up for $1k.
    I'll have to give that a look

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If only needed for range use, have you considered a target camera system?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDogPSD View Post
    If only needed for range use, have you considered a target camera system?
    I like the idea of one, but a spotter I can use scouting for hunting also.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Somebody has/had a new Leupold for sale at $1k in the classifieds..
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Somebody has/had a new Leupold for sale at $1k in the classifieds..
    There was a nice Kowa in the classifieds that sold for $800. You just have to watch and wait for the right deal to come along.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...piece-and-case
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    There was a nice Kowa in the classifieds that sold for $800. You just have to watch and wait for the right deal to come along.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...piece-and-case
    Nice, ... copy that, I'll have to keep a look out on deals like that

Feedback Score
    lucky I found this thread, I am in the same boat. My wife bless her heart went out and bought me a spotting scope. The only problem is that its a crap Simmons and its more painful to work with than I can stand. I would say go with Vortex because of warranty and the quality of glass. You can always go higher but you will have to save pennies for a while to get a nice one that the "professionals" would agree with....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spookm14 View Post
    lucky I found this thread, I am in the same boat. My wife bless her heart went out and bought me a spotting scope. The only problem is that its a crap Simmons and its more painful to work with than I can stand. I would say go with Vortex because of warranty and the quality of glass. You can always go higher but you will have to save pennies for a while to get a nice one that the "professionals" would agree with....
    Well sounds like her heart was in the right place.

Hmm, more Vortex votes

Feedback Score
    Yeah I really do appreciate it but when I take it out I want to bash it over a rock because it is that terrible. You cant focus at all, and the only magnification you can somewhat see through clearly is on the lowest which I have some scopes that have better clarity and higher power than this joke. I guess I cant complain because last time she did this she bought me a socom 16 which I love

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've used a bunch over the years and settled with a Kowa 663ED Prominar. So, sage advice in this thread in that a good spotting scope investment won't be obsolete in a few years. Good glass is goood glass.
    Bottom line is you get what you pay for - there's no free lunch. Buy the best that you can afford.
    I have used everything from B&L's through Unertl's - if you buy used - the biggest issue is the integrity of the seals - Unertls were notorious for that and obviously that the lenses haven't been abused (scratched).
    Older glass can be outstanding. I have an old M-49 sotting scope that is probably 40+ years old. Still works great - 30 cal holes at 200 is easy.

Size wise - depending on how far & the clarity of what you want to see - the driving force is the objective diameter. Large scopes are in the 77-88mm range. The medium sizes run 65-75mm. As far as seeing bullet holes at 600yds - not going to happen - period. Especially in the price range that you want to be in. I wouldn't even consider anything in the 50mm - 60mm size - way too limiting. The big objective lenses offer better resolution and a brighter image than smaller ones. They also offer a larger exit pupil - makes it far easier to get your eye aligned quickly vs having to get really close to the lens and move your face around to see the target.

One aspect specific for shooting, whether it is off the bench or from position, is the angle of the eye piece. I prefer angled eye pieces without question over a straight one. The comfort and ease from positioning an angled eye piece scope is significant. Another aspect that I love about my Kowa is the LER (Long Eye Relief) eye piece. I can have my eyeball a good 2" away from the scope - wide field, excellent clarity.

Special coatings on the lenses are going to drive the price up. Fact of life - you get what you pay for.

While the Vortex scopes look to be outstanding, they seem to be in the upper end of the price point range. Their Diamondback line looks nice especially the 20-60x80 Angled model @ $600. But zoom eye pieces are irritating for their small exit pupils (on high X) and VERY short eye relief. I think you can do as well or better for maybe almost even money with a Kowa. Look at the Kowa TSN661 - 66mm, angled eye piece - its a standard multicoat type lens (not the flourite lens of the 663 & 664) Add a LER 25x eye piece and you'll be rocking a great system for under $800.

I think that the TSN661 & TSN662 are out of production - they make the TSN663 & 664 - (flourite coated lenses - that adds about $350 to the scope). The TSN661 is still around and can be had on line at around $525- $550 and the LER eye piece can be had for a touch over $200. Trust me - this combo will never get old. I've used one from 25yds to 1000yds. I can see 223 holes at 300+.

I have an additional eye piece for mine, a 20-60x zoom, but I rarely use it as I don't like the super short eye relief common to zoom lenses. (see above)

Another option is the Kowa TSN82SV - it has a big 82mm objective, angled eye piece and can be found for around $650. It uses the same eye pieces at the TSN 66x) series, so you could add the 25X LER for another $200 and have a world class scope. Kowa is a highly highly respected mfr of optics - rugged, crystal clear, beautiful engineering and they retain their value.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by opsoff1; 10-21-14 at 17:06.
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast