Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: First spotting scope purchase, budget vs top notch

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Opsoff1, thanks for taking the time to post that info, that is some good food for thought.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Last edited by MBtech; 10-21-14 at 13:54.

Feedback Score
    Well you might have just changed my mind from vortex....

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    opsoff1 covered a lot of bases with that post. Without ruffling feathers, hopefully, I would recommend Sgt. Jim Owens for a scope purchase. You can easilly find his website as I don't want to post it on someone else's forum.

He had/has a program where you can get into a Konus spotter and if you decide later to trade up to a Kowa, he will credit you the purchase price of the Konus toward the Kowa. That kind of deal is hard to find in my opinion. He is also a wealth of knowledge on the subject having shot and coached for many years.

As an aside, I have a Kowa TE-20H 25x LER eyepiece for the TSN-880 and TSN-770 Series of Kowa spotters. It will work with others if you use a ready available adapter.

Try to find a rifle match and walk the line during relay or pit changes. The majority of folks will gladly let you take a peep through their glass and answer any questions that you may have. You may also find some goodies for sale while you're there.

Keith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    opsoff1 covered a lot of bases with that post. Without ruffling feathers, hopefully, I would recommend Sgt. Jim Owens for a scope purchase. You can easilly find his website as I don't want to post it on someone else's forum.

He had/has a program where you can get into a Konus spotter and if you decide later to trade up to a Kowa, he will credit you the purchase price of the Konus toward the Kowa. That kind of deal is hard to find in my opinion. He is also a wealth of knowledge on the subject having shot and coached for many years.

As an aside, I have a Kowa TE-20H 25x LER eyepiece for the TSN-880 and TSN-770 Series of Kowa spotters. It will work with others if you use a ready available adapter.

Try to find a rifle match and walk the line during relay or pit changes. The majority of folks will gladly let you take a peep through their glass and answer any questions that you may have. You may also find some goodies for sale while you're there.

Keith
    I've been keeping my eye out to look through as many as I can before making a purchase...
    Just like I have a couple optics in mind for my SCAR17 but I can't justify not looking through one first before sinking $2-3K into it and get it delivered in the mail and find out... damn... I don't really care for that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No offense to anyone, but that no name scope looks like an absolutely terrible purchase!

1. I've been around the block on spotting scopes. I borrowed and owned about 12 at various points. I currently own only one, the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x compact, I'll buy a fullsize again at some point and I'm fairly certain it's going to also be a Vortex Razor. There is no better value out there. None.

2. Here is what I've learned seeing first hand broken Premier, Leupold Mk8, S&B, USO, Zeiss, Vortex, Bushnell, Burris, and I'm sure other's I'm forgetting. SCOPES BREAK. All of them. They do. They will. It does not matter the name on it. I saw a brand new S&B 3-21 or something come out of the box with a canted reticle. It happens. No scope will last forever, so... Buy from a real company who has a good return policy (again, Vortex has been relatively painless any time I had something go back to them.

Please don't buy a no-name optic in the interest of saving money - you won't save money.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes - this the 82mm one - and at a SCREAMING price too!

Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Noodles - which no-name scope are you referring to?
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    http://www.sale-telescopes.com/produ...-(Angled).html

Contact info shows:

Sale Telescopes
    Jalan Gajah Mada 104-107
    Jakarta 11140
    Indonesia

if that makes a difference to anyone.

Keith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    http://www.sale-telescopes.com/produ...-(Angled).html

Contact info shows:

Sale Telescopes
    Jalan Gajah Mada 104-107
    Jakarta 11140
    Indonesia

if that makes a difference to anyone.

Keith
    cough cough cough gray market or knockoff cough cough cough good luck getting support cough cough cough

... Just my opinion

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast