Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Precision Armament EFAB first impressions

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was seriously considering the AFAB but now that this is out I'll be looking at it more. I wish more people were using them so I could see some high round count reviews. It seems that everyone that has one likes them but hasn't put to many rounds through it. Thanks for the review Buford, I look forward to more updates on it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is anyone running a promo? I feel an EFAB in my future and if I could save a few bucks...
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit69 View Post
    Is anyone running a promo? I feel an EFAB in my future and if I could save a few bucks...
    I don't know of any. Maybe email Precision Armament and ask for a forum promo? It's worth a shot.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Will try...

Will report back
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    BTJ, seems from your video the muzzle lifts and goes right after each shot. Does it do this when shooting with support hand on handguard as well? I ASSume you were shooting one handed with support holding camera.
    Thanks, Mark

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is a general question, but it pertains to this particular muzzle device:

Why do brake manufacturers put tines on the end of the brake when the gases and flash exit the sides? Is it for looks?

I have seen and used a few different "hybrid" brake/FH units and none of the hide flash with the tines on the end.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by azoutdoorsman View Post

Why do brake manufacturers put tines on the end of the brake when the gases and flash exit the sides? Is it for looks?

I have seen and used a few different "hybrid" brake/FH units and none of the hide flash with the tines on the end.
    Gas still escapes through the front of muzzle devices before and after the bullet no matter how small the diameter of the exit hole(s) and that gas can still produce flash (ETA: in front of the muzzle device). The tines reduce the aforementioned gas' ability to ignite, or at least as much, in front of the muzzle device, which can occlude or otherwise hamper the shooter's sight/optics/lights/etc...
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 10-22-14 at 23:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Gas still escapes through the front of muzzle devices before and after the bullet no matter how small the diameter of the exit hole(s) and that gas can still produce flash (ETA: in front of the muzzle device). The tines reduce the aforementioned gas' ability to ignite, or at least as much, in front of the muzzle device, which can occlude or otherwise hamper the shooter's sight/optics/lights/etc...
    I understand all that. What I don't understand is why flash coming from the circumference of a device is acceptable, but from the front is not.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

ColtSeavers pretty much answered this one already, but I will respond again since you decided to blow past his answer instead of thinking about what he posted. Short answer: No, they are not just for looks, they help to hide muzzle flash. How do you know that the tines on the devices that you observed were doing nothing? Did you cut or grind the tines off to compare the flash with and without the tines? A device may have some or even a pronounced flash off of the sides of the comp/brake portion vs. what is coming out of the muzzle, but that doesn't mean the tines are doing nothing. Did it occur to you that since you see the flash on the sides and not off of the end/muzzle of the device that the tines are in fact doing something, and possibly doing it well? Perhaps the flash off of the muzzle would be more pronounced without the tines? Keep in mind that each device is it's own story and be careful not to make apples to oranges comparisons.

I understand all that. What I don't understand is why flash coming from the circumference of a device is acceptable, but from the front is not.
    Acceptable to who? An acceptable level of flash is entirely up to the end user to decide. If you want zero flash look at pure flash hiders like the B.E. Meyers, or the Smith Vortex. The stated goal from those devices is near zero muzzle flash. The EFAB and AFAB are, as you stated, hybrid devices. You are trading off some additional flash in exchange for some braking/compensation with a hybrid. Different hybrid devices each have different flash and compensating characteristics. Pick the one with acceptable flash level for you. In the case of the EFAB, the flash off the sides of the device is pretty minimal, so I don't think it would be an issue for most users. If zero flash is the only acceptable option go with the pure flash hider. Hybrid devices are an attempt to balance the best features of comps and flash hiders.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    ColtSeavers pretty much answered this one already, but I will respond again since you decided to blow past his answer instead of thinking about what he posted. Short answer: No, they are not just for looks, they help to hide muzzle flash. How do you know that the tines on the devices that you observed were doing nothing? Did you cut or grind the tines off to compare the flash with and without the tines? A device may have some or even a pronounced flash off of the sides of the comp/brake portion vs. what is coming out of the muzzle, but that doesn't mean the tines are doing nothing. Did it occur to you that since you see the flash on the sides and not off of the end/muzzle of the device that the tines are in fact doing something, and possibly doing it well? Perhaps the flash off of the muzzle would be more pronounced without the tines? Keep in mind that each device is it's own story and be careful not to make apples to oranges comparisons.

Acceptable to who? An acceptable level of flash is entirely up to the end user to decide. If you want zero flash look at pure flash hiders like the B.E. Meyers, or the Smith Vortex. The stated goal from those devices is near zero muzzle flash. The EFAB and AFAB are, as you stated, hybrid devices. You are trading off some additional flash in exchange for some braking/compensation with a hybrid. Different hybrid devices each have different flash and compensating characteristics. Pick the one with acceptable flash level for you. In the case of the EFAB, the flash off the sides of the device is pretty minimal, so I don't think it would be an issue for most users. If zero flash is the only acceptable option go with the pure flash hider. Hybrid devices are an attempt to balance the best features of comps and flash hiders.
    I know because I bought different versions from PWS, Rainer, BC, Spikes with and without tines, and set up long exposure photos at night.

The hybrids with the small holes around the circumference hide flash decently without tines. But they still had more flash than a lowly A2, which is technically a comp since the ports only face upward. The Rainer and PWS with larger ports and forward tines do dick all to hide flash.

Maybe I'll get an EFAB and do the same thing pre and post tine-ectomy. My guess would be the tines add no function.
    Last edited by azoutdoorsman; 10-23-14 at 23:37. Reason: spelling

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast