Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stamp copy location

Feedback Score

Stamp copy location

I received my first stamp for a factory Mk18 this past Friday. I was thinking about where to keep a copy of my stamp for when I take the rifle shooting. I know most guys just keep a copy in their range bag, but I had the idea of printing off a reduced size copy, laminating it, and folding it up and keeping it in the grip compartment of my MOE-K2. That way I always have a copy with the rifle at all times.

Does anyone see any issues with doing this? Anyone else do something along the same lines as this?
    USMC 2011-Present

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I did something similar. I have a reduced sized copy stuffed into the grip of the SBR. I also put copies in nearly every gun case that I might take to the range. I didn't want to be in a situation where I used a different case and didn't have the proper documentation with me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I used to do that, but I don't even bother with copies anymore. No one in AZ cares or asks about Cans or SBRs. I don't even think Machine guns draw much attention.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it's heavily dependent on your location. SBR's are new this year in Michigan, and I definitely had some extra eyes on me the one time I took them to a public range. No one asked for my stamps, though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I think it's heavily dependent on your location. SBR's are new this year in Michigan, and I definitely had some extra eyes on me the one time I took them to a public range. No one asked for my stamps, though.
    That's true. In AZ it's almost unbelievable. I haven't thought of having copies with me in 4 or 5 years.... and with, as I understand it, NO legal requirement to have the stuff. I don't bother.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Keep a notarized copy is a good idea, and places like Virginia and Connecticut you should also have copies of your State registrations. Just because someone hasnt been asked for copies of their paperwork doesnt mean someone wont. Class 3 items are subject to seizure by LEOs until registration status is confirmed, and if on the weekend, you could be screwed since most NFA related registration POC's are no open on the weekend - wouldnt want my expensive Class 3 gear sitting in an evidence lock up to be abused by some shit head.

I say this because I have seen it happen, in Ohio, Oklahoma, Northern Virginia, Maryland and Florida. Better to be safe than sorry. But that is just my opinion.
    Your Helmet Will Not Protect You If You Are a Dumb Ass!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDCI View Post
    Keep a notarized copy is a good idea,
    Notorize a copy of a Form 1/4?? I don't even know what that's supposed to accomplish.

I agree that a shooter should know the level of foolishness in his own State... and plan accordingly. Here in AZ, I've had to retrieve NFA guns from the P.D. and they didn't require any sort of documentation. It doesn't fall under their jurisdiction, and as long as the guns weren't stolen, they coudn't give a crap less.

Again... I'm not telling anyone NOT to have copies... just that the romantic idea of whipping out the papers like Wayne and Garth's back stage passes fades quickly in the real world.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I carry a reduced size copy stuffed in the grips of my SBRs. In this state, there's no law requiring Federal registration of SBRs, nor is there any separate state registration. So, other than bumping into the occasional ATF agent out on NFA patrol, I'm not too concerned about state or local police asking for my paperwork. I know a lot of cops, but I don't know any that are interested in trying to enforce Federal law.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    I received my first stamp for a factory Mk18 this past Friday. I was thinking about where to keep a copy of my stamp for when I take the rifle shooting. I know most guys just keep a copy in their range bag, but I had the idea of printing off a reduced size copy, laminating it, and folding it up and keeping it in the grip compartment of my MOE-K2. That way I always have a copy with the rifle at all times.

Does anyone see any issues with doing this? Anyone else do something along the same lines as this?
    I have room in my pistol grip and/or the stock itself. Thinking of slipping small copies into one side of the stock compartment.

Feedback Score
    Glad to know I'm not the only one using this method. I honestly don't expect to be hassled when I'm out shooting, seeing as how I shoot in the desert where no one is around. However, being that this is my first stamp I just wanted to make sure I cover my ass. Thanks for the replies.
    USMC 2011-Present

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast