Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire X400V IRc: Acceptable standalone light/laser unit?

Feedback Score

Surefire X400V IRc: Acceptable standalone light/laser unit?

Hi everybody, got a setup in mind that I was hoping for some input on.

Surefire recently released their new X400V IRc, which combines their redesigned "Vampire" head with a 0.7mW IR laser in the familiar X-series form factor.

Surefire_X400V_IRc_White_Light:IR_Light:IR_Laser.jpg

As far as I can tell, it's got everything one would need for low light/no light illumination and aiming: if it's dim, white light and day optic, and if it's really dark, IR illuminator and laser with NV. Even better, it only weighs 4.8oz with batteries, so it'd be awesomely lightweight for a standalone unit.

Now, the caveats: first, because the laser emitter adds too much height for it to be used in the typical 12 o'clock position people put X-series lights in on a carbine, I imagine it would need to be offset so as not to occlude sight picture. The best mount I can find for moving the light far enough out of the way without moving it too far off 12 o'clock is the IWC Thorntail Offset. I think this might work, but I'm still worried it will move the laser too far to the side of the bore to be ideal. It'd look basically like this, with the laser emitter where the little battery diagram on the light is:

Surefire_X400V_IRc_White_Light:IR_Light:IR_Laser_Reference.jpg

The other thing I'm worried about is the possibility of accidental discharge of the light mounted like that; unfortunately, Unity Tactical's EXO accessory won't work with the X400 series, only the X300 series. I might be able to modify one to fit, but failing that, has anyone run an X-series light like this and had any issues with (ahem) "premature illumination"? I was planning on running it with the cable-compatible tailswitch, if that makes a difference.

I s'pose that's it, unless anyone else can see an issue with this setup that I might not have thought of. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BowTieBear; 09-30-14 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    As much as I love SureFire, I really wish they would move the position of the laser closer to the rail mount like Viridian. I think having it mounted anywhere but the 6 would pose a pretty significant snag hazard, but can't say for sure.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input, Wake; I figured the same thing, but looking at the Unity Tactical EXO, I might be able to modify one to fit, so at least the flipper switches aren't just hanging out there. Never heard of Viridian til' you mentioned them, but I like the look of their products; still, my dream device for staying light at night, so to speak, is the (hopefully not vaporware) Surefire XVL2:

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/01/20...surefire-xvl2/

By the way, I notice you're from O'ahu; I was born and raised there, so it's nice to see more local folks on here!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Viridian has all other companies beat on the concept of a light plus laser, but if I really wanted one I'd still take a SureFire because of execution. More people will chime in I'm sure, with more experience. Just my observation. And I was just stationed out here, it's beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Placing the laser on an offset would make zeroing a rather interesting proposition, given the offset from the bore. I've heard rumors of LDI putting together a unit that would combine all 4 functions (vis light, vis laser, IR light, IR laser) that would be optimized for a rifle, so it wouldn't just be a DBAL-PL with a tape-switch... but that's just rumors. Depending on how you hold your gun, a DBAL-PL at 1200 might work?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Every current .mil option is on an offset, it does work. The DBAL-PL switching seems like the closest thing to a great do-everything option (any instance I'm running NODs I'll be looking at running a long gun primarily, then handgun). That switching would be pretty 'interesting' to try and remote as an individual feature option (maybe have a laser on-off push button toggle on the unit and have a pad (ala SR-07-Dual) for 'Visible ON' and a pad for 'IR On' which could be momentary or double tapped for constant on, but even that arrangement is really needlessly complicated.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Placing the laser on an offset would make zeroing a rather interesting proposition, given the offset from the bore. I've heard rumors of LDI putting together a unit that would combine all 4 functions (vis light, vis laser, IR light, IR laser) that would be optimized for a rifle, so it wouldn't just be a DBAL-PL with a tape-switch... but that's just rumors. Depending on how you hold your gun, a DBAL-PL at 1200 might work?
    Man, I reeeeally hope that rumor is true; that sounds like it would be perfect. The DBAL-PL was kind of a huge disappointment for me, because they made it essentially handgun exclusive; the button placement makes it all but useless on a long gun. I also don't like that it appears they made it so that whenever the white light is on, the vis laser is also on, and whenever the IR light is on, the IR laser is also on...

@TehLlama, I was also thinking that about all the other laser designs out there (except the CQBL-1), but I'm worried this setup will offset it too, complicating zero and POA/POI. Would you happen to know what the distance above and to the side the laser emitters are on, say, a DBAL? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    The critical question is, "What is the intended usage?"

If you're not LEO/.mil I wouldn't sweat light ND's.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    The critical question is, "What is the intended usage?"
    If you're not LEO/.mil I wouldn't sweat light ND's.
    I fall on the opposite extreme of that - I give kids shit in airsoft games for having ALD's, because at bigger games it actually matters. If anything is being used for real (hunting, defensive, other) then having a bright tactical light switch on is stupid if avoidable - in some ways worse with IR since it's possible to be an idiot beacon if anybody you're worried about has IR capability.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Apologies for bumping, but didn't see the point in starting a new one on the same topic.
    As far as the offset/height, if red dots sitting ~3" over-bore are not a problem for zeroing, then the X400V should work (obscuring the sight picture of the red dot is another story though).

Speaking of sight picture, does anybody know how far above the rail the highest point of the X400V sits??

On a related note, I just came across this thread on TOS. There are some pics and tidbits that may be of interest.
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=18&t=431896

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast