Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does "government profile" mean to you?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Based on the listed dimensions, it looks like a medium contour barrel like you'd see from Noveske or Sionics. It's good to see more MEDCON profiles out there.

I'm curious as to how well it shoots.

Feedback Score
    Grant, you are correct that the gas block is pushed all the way up against the shoulder. Additionally, it's a somewhat shorter gas block than most, at around .955" (the other one I can measure without pulling a handguard is .995 or so), so I suspect it's intended to be pushed up against the shoulder.

Why do you say the profile looks jacked up?

edit: oh, 2A, yes it appears to be nitrided. If I go shoot it I'll post results, although I don't have any good ammo around for real accuracy testing - all I have in 5.56 is Federal XM193.
    Last edited by Junkie; 10-01-14 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Question...with all due respect to the gurus...why does BCM and the other makers keep making "Gov't profile" barrels if they are so freaky?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveAR View Post
    Question...with all due respect to the gurus...why does BCM and the other makers keep making "Gov't profile" barrels if they are so freaky?
    They work great. I've owned Noveske middy with their profile and daniel defense middy with theirs. Even though the Noveske was a 14.5 and dd a 16.1, the dd shot flatter and I had to actually get less aggressive holding the muzzle down. The daniel defense had less poi shift suppressed. I see no downside to a .gov profile in the real world. Only the theoretical.

Feedback Score
    Of course a barrel that's heavier in front will have less muzzle rise, that's expected. They won't point quite as quickly as the same weight barrel in a tapered profile, and theoretically won't shoot quite as accurately (although most quality barrels will shoot better than most shooters).

I'm not saying that Government profile barrels can't work well, but from an engineering standpoint they don't make much sense to me. I suppose one of the few reasons I can think of to use one is to have a rifle that doesn't weigh much and has minimal muzzle rise, but other than full auto a gun with a reasonable muzzle device that isn't horribly overgassed doesn't rise much.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is the SOCOM barrel profile a good one? Heavier in the rear.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great for auto firing.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It's a boat anchor designed for unrealistic scenarios due to the results of a barrel bursting during a test after being fed 400+ rounds fired full auto. It's like an inconel gastube.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    Grant, you are correct that the gas block is pushed all the way up against the shoulder. Additionally, it's a somewhat shorter gas block than most, at around .955" (the other one I can measure without pulling a handguard is .995 or so), so I suspect it's intended to be pushed up against the shoulder.

Why do you say the profile looks jacked up?

edit: oh, 2A, yes it appears to be nitrided. If I go shoot it I'll post results, although I don't have any good ammo around for real accuracy testing - all I have in 5.56 is Federal XM193.
    I would double check that GB. VERY few do you push up to the shoulder.

The profile does not look like a conventional Govt profile to me.

C4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    They are poular. Not sure why, but people buy them.

C4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast