1 (100%)

Quick Review: Taurus 709 "Slim" 9mm

Quick review – Taurus 709 9mm
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=700

Manufacturer: Taurus
    Model: 709FS “Slim” (sku 1-709031FS)
    Serial number: TPH#####
    MSRP: $403.98

During August and September I had a sample Taurus 709 in 9mm on loan to me for evaluation. The gun was received and returned without any consideration and all other supplies were my own. The 709 is a subcompact, single-stack 9mm that competes with the S&W Shield, Springfield XDs, and other compact single stacks.

L/R View

Fieldstripped View

The 709 fieldstrips much like a Glock via a slide retention bar. There are five basic components, slide, barrel, receiver, magazine, and captured dual recoil spring assembly.

Ammunition capacity in the 9mm is 7+1, making the 709 a one- or two- bad guy gun. This is on par with others in its class. The case is nearly fully supported and the edges of the chamber are chamfered.

I shot an initial group at 25yds which printed 5” low, about 5” in diameter, and correct for windage. I adjusted the sights and got it to shoot it POA/POI at 10, 15, and 25yds. Do note the sight adjustment is two screws on the right side of the rear sight. Elevation is adjusted by the rear screw, windage the front. The screw at the top of the read sight is NOT an adjustment screw.

The sights on this gun are a basic 3-dot design and non-luminous. They're lower in profile and the rear notch is narrow but they are usable. By the end of my use, some of the white paint in one of the rear dots was coming off

The best target for this gun at 25yds was a 73-1X with some FMJ. Five are strongly grouped, three opened it up a bit, and two went off paper. The group validates the sight adjustment made. The two off paper are my fault. Even with that group, the Taurus compares favorably to others of its class. In fact, I was pretty pleased with the five in the black.

Comparisons with other popular compacts and subcompacts, 10rds at 25yds:
    Glock 26 9mm 94-2X
    Shield 9mm (2) 85-1X
    SAI XDx 9mm 84-0X
    M&P 9C 9mm 79-2X
    Ruger LCP 9mm 76-0X
    Kahr PM9 9mm 76-0X
    Taurus 709 9mm 73-1X
    Shield 9mm (1) 63-0X
    Sigarms P290 9mm 53-3X
    Karh Mk9 9mm 36-0X

The 709 target

I shot three loads from Black Hills Ammo. They were the 115gr TAC-XP, 124gr JHP-XTP +P, and a 50rd box of 115 FMJ. I also fired a 50rd box each of Freedom Munitions 115gr FMJ (reman) and Speer Lawman 147gr TMJ. Function was 100% with the TAC-XP and XTP carry loads. I had 5 stovepipes with the FMJ. Shooting through the Freedom and Speer the gun continued having occasional stovepipes at a rate of about 5 per box or so.

The trigger is interesting. Racking the slide fully cocks the striker, producing long travel to a light single-action break. However, if you press the trigger in dry fire, the trigger is double action only and gives the gun a second-strike capability. Therefore, when carried with a loaded chamber the gun is a single action only. The trigger was a little tricky to run fast in 3-5rd responses but a dedicated user could train into it with practice.

The gun includes a manual safety lever on the left side of the gun that is large enough to be usable. The light, single action trigger would seem to require it. It is not reversible, so a southpaw will have to adapt. The safety is also large enough that it cut the inside of my thumb near the web within a few rounds. A bit of hockey tape in the range bag prevented further injury. Smaller hands may help a bit, but I bet some others with even average hands will experience the issue to a degree. Another grip technique might also mitigate the issue.

There is a trigger safety in the trigger limiting rearward travel that's similar but not identical to the Glock. Testing that safety, I put a finger on either side of the trigger and pressed to the rear. A little extra effort at the point of resistance defeated the safety. The gun also incorporates an internal firing pin safety similar to the Glock and appears to work in the same way.

Summary

Two shooters fired ~200 rounds through the sample and shared all pertinent observations. Lightweight, size efficient, and inexpensive, the 709 meets a need. The gun was reliable with the small quantity of carry ammo tested, but not with any of the three practice loads used. If used as a primary CCW, more detailed reliability checks with chosen ammo are prudent. The gun was easy to shoot for accuracy at distance, shot to POA, and grouped respectably for its class. Minor finish wear on high points of the gun was evident at the conclusion of the evaluation.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good review and thanks for sharing.

I own a 709 currently, and previously owned the 740Slim (40sw) also. Both are decent CCW pistols in their price range. I've compared it side by side with Keltec PF9 and Ruger LC9. The 709 seems to be the better of the other pistols in its price range/size. The features of the 709 make it a good CCW for some who want those specific features: SA trigger with 2nd strike, thumb/trigger safety, loaded chamber indicator, and a slim single-stack profile.

They're currently priced competitively (and reasonably) at $260 with 1 mag, so it is an attractive option for budget-minded shooters. I pocket carry my 709 when I'm not using a Glock19.

Now if only Glock will make a single-stack 9mm...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. A lot of folks will have to make some budget-based decisions on what guns to use. I hope that developing better info on their best options and values will be helpful.

Can you add some more info about your experience with the 709? How's it running, reliability, ammo preferences, accuracy? Finish on this gun developed some shine pretty quickly. How's yours?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine has been good so far. Granted its not a range pistol and I only shoot a few mags out of it every range trip to check for function and reliability. No issues so far. Finish has been good, but I will admit I am careful with most of my guns. I sometimes pocket carry in jeans or shorts without a holster, safety engaged, and has worked for me. Less hassle than IWB with a Glock 19. I normally use brass ammo for the range (Federal, Winchester, etc).

I bought mine used, and the top of the chamber is shiny (almost polished) while the rest of the gun is black. I thought this was strange, but its fine.

I've also previously owned the 740Slim (Duo-tone), but the recoil on that is a bit much for a pistol that compact so I traded down for the 709 in black.

My accuracy is another story. I am a terrible pistol shooter ( I shoot carbines and shotguns much better), but I can get it on paper/on target. Just not all bullseye's, if you know what I mean. With the 709 being such a small pistol with not the best sights, Its even harder for me. But under 10yards accuracy is acceptable if I do my part.
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 10-01-14 at 19:56.