Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need small safe ideas and installation help

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Need small safe ideas and installation help

My buddy just moved into an older house. Wooden floors, old trusses, etc. His closets are unique in that to the left and right of the "main" closet area, they are 23" wide but very deep. He does not have a garage (or any floor space for storing a bigger safe), and currently keeps his firearms leaned up against the wall in the corner of a bedroom.

Options we have considered:

Go with a brand like Sturdy Safe. Thick steel, and custom order a safe that is a few inches thinner than their smallest for about $1500-$2000 and hope it doesn't fall through the floor.
    Pros: Heavy, durable, strong.
    Cons: Heavy, expensive, would take a while to get, and not even sure if Sturdy Safe would make a safe of that size.

Go with a used Stack On for $200, realize it is better than leaving the guns in the corner of the bedroom, and hope for the best.
    Pros: Very inexpensive, can be found daily on Craigslist.
    Cons: A little better than a cabinet, wouldn't stop anything more than a smash and grab.

Or???

I saw the closet he is looking at putting it in and there is very little doubt that it is an old floor. Jumping on it makes me a little nervous (but the house was just inspected and it is sound). Luckily there is an access panel under the house within 6 feet of that closet so it would be possible to reinforce the floor, although we are not quite sure how to do that (haven't even looked)

What is the best way to secure a safe inside of a closet? Just drill holes into the wooden floor? What if the holes at the back of the safe do not line up with wall studs?

ETA: If your reply to this thread demands him buying a 1,600lb, $4,000 Liberty Safe that a family of 4 could sleep in - you are of course free to voice your opinion. Just understand that will not be considered as it is a literal impossibility for his house, and no one will be impressed by your security measures.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-03-14 at 07:01.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What if the holes at the back of the safe do not line up with wall studs?
    I can help with this part. Cut two 2x4s that fit the width and then lag bolt them into the studs. Then bolt to the 2x4s.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveAR View Post
    I can help with this part. Cut two 2x4s that fit the width and then lag bolt them into the studs. Then bolt to the 2x4s.
    That's brilliant. Thanks a ton.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What if the holes at the back of the safe do not line up with wall studs?

Drill new holes in back of safe that line up with the studs would be way easier.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Make sure the safe will fit through the door.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    Is this advice from experience?
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Absolutely!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    You can remove the trim and gain a inch or two, if needed. As with all old houses be prepared to make repairs afterwards.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    How long will he live in the house? Is an investment worth it to him in the long run?

Is it possible to have a foundation repair firm (if you have them in Florida, we have tons in Texas) look under the house and put in a concrete pillar or pad to support the floor under the safe?

If they can't, can you rustle up a couple of Lance Coolies and put them on that detail?

Digging out under the floor, then pouring a concrete pad comes to mind. Not as much cost, but definitely more sweat equity. Then you can brace the floor underneath, with some 4x4 beams. Bolt some 1" treated plywood on top of that, so the floor rests on it. Think Stonehenge.

I'm not a structural engineer, and I've never played one on TV. But I have experience picking up heavy things and putting them down.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    How many guns is he trying to secure and whats his budget
    * My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion only and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast