Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need small safe ideas and installation help

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Digging out under the floor, then pouring a concrete pad comes to mind. Not as much cost, but definitely more sweat equity. Then you can brace the floor underneath, with some 4x4 beams. Bolt some 1" treated plywood on top of that, so the floor rests on it.
    +1
    But instead of 4x4s, I'd use floor jacks. Cheap and adjustable.

Maybe think of reinforcing the floor joists. $30 at Home Depot for structural braces (they make one that fits what you need). Some 2x6 strapped to existing will do you right, but take the sag out before you start (go online and watch some Mike Holmes episodes. You'll see one eventually).

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have your friend check out one of these:

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/safes.htm

The ZA-1 might be what he needs. I would recommend bolting it in place
    Last edited by signal4l; 10-24-14 at 13:21.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Is it possible to have a foundation repair firm (if you have them in Florida, we have tons in Texas) look under the house and put in a concrete pillar or pad to support the floor under the safe?

Digging out under the floor, then pouring a concrete pad comes to mind. Not as much cost, but definitely more sweat equity. Then you can brace the floor underneath, with some 4x4 beams. Bolt some 1" treated plywood on top of that, so the floor rests on it. Think Stonehenge.
    FYI...If you live in an area with expansive soils, it would be worth the additional expense of consulting a structural engineer prior to constructing something like this. If not done properly you will negate the features of your foundation which isolate the structure from ground swell.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Just want to chime in here that Stack-On is absolute junk. I was surprised they were that bad! I always read through these safe threads and hear people junking on the cheap, thin steeled chinese stuff saying you can pop it open with a pry bar and I think to myself these people are exaggerating just a tad.

But they aren't. I'm going off appearance alone, but I bet if I only had a crowbar I could probably be inside one of those safes in 15-30 minutes.

I forgot the brand he went with, but it's solid. We read that the code is 30lbs/sq ft in bedrooms and he's pushing 125lbs/sq ft. I think he is hoping that because it's in the back of a long, narrow closet that he is close enough to the beams to prevent it falling through the floor. He's got the 200+lb safe, about 50lbs in guns, and 50lbs in ammo in there.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stack-On is only good to secure little Johnny's Halloween candy, not much else.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I'm going off appearance alone, but I bet if I only had a crowbar I could probably be inside one of those safes in 15-30 minutes.
    What!?

15-30 minutes...

Why in hell would it take you that long?

I have two good safes. (BTW I think it is better to have multiple safes rather than one big one.) And I also have one of those Stack-On type uhhh cabinets for pellet guns and stuff. They are not very secure.

OP, an alarm system with inside and outside bell are nice to have if you live within ear-shot of others. When the bell/siren goes off it really makes thieves nervous. Works great in conjunction with a good safe.

Then all you need is a big dog, maybe a nice 200 LB Caucasian Shepard and you'll feel pretty secure.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 11-11-14 at 00:51.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12