Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebola Preparation

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcshelto View Post
    Yeah, it definitely is over the top, I admit. My wife is a medical first responder and health care provider in an ER setting.

I've got 90 days of limited rats (ranger school style) and 45-60 not as hungry.

Just ready for this all to pass.
    This is not the last, or even the most dangerous, epidemic that humanity will face. On the scale of life threatening pandemics, ebola is pretty far down the scale. If your level of paranoia extends that far, I wouldn't get rid of your isolation gear anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    This is not the last, or even the most dangerous, epidemic that humanity will face. On the scale of life threatening pandemics, ebola is pretty far down the scale. If your level of paranoia extends that far, I wouldn't get rid of your isolation gear anytime soon.
    Oh hush, you with common sense and a medical background. Don't you know that sensationalist stories about the SOLE ebola victim unknowingly being in the US are proof that "THE MEDICAL SYSTEM" is corrupt and a bunch of government cronies?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Don't you know that sensationalist stories about the SOLE ebola victim unknowingly being in the US are proof that "THE MEDICAL SYSTEM" is corrupt and a bunch of government cronies?
    I think we knew that before he got here.
    Last edited by austinN4; 10-05-14 at 16:00.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am not usually an alarmist; I am a middle of the road, even keeled kinda guy.

That being said, since I was a kid, I have had a very, very real phobia of infectious disease, especially Ebola. For the first time in my life, I am have felt compelled to begin preparing for what will probably never come. It is irrational, but I simply can't take the risk. The U.S. medical infrastructure is not capable of dealing with this threat; hell, we have a national wide shortage of IV saline.

I've been buying new M40A1 Promasks with hoods, DuPont Tychem suits, butyl gloves and boot covers, plate carriers, plates, gallons upon gallons of bleach.

I have shot, moved and communicated in MOPP4 and it was the worst experience of my life probably. I want to train and practice in this more moderate loadout, but I know I would look like a lunatic.

Anyone else making any preparations for any possible pandemic? Or am I alone in this one?
    It appears you still do. I see no reason not to be prepared for a possible outbreak of a virus or pandemics (because they are a legit risk if history any guide, and it always is...) but that's normal part of prep for what's possible and more important, probable. But, prep specific to Ebola is not logical and your risks of getting killed while driving to pick that stuff up vastly higher. Ebola is a non issue in the US and other developed countries and will continue to be so. Having prep to remain in your home for the "usual" suspects of possible dangers, but not additional prep for Ebola assuming you're looking at it objectively vs emotionally.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Drama queen much? I couldn't be less concerned with Ebola. My advice? Stop watching the ratings driven drama queen media.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's my plan. Don't answer the door if some blood-barfin', shit-drippin', zombie rings the bell. Ditto for kids sellin' overpriced cookies and popcorn or dirtbags beggin' for votes.
    Last edited by montanadave; 10-05-14 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Drama queen much? I couldn't be less concerned with Ebola. My advice? Stop watching the ratings driven drama queen media.

I don't think you understand; this has been a phobia of mine for almost twenty years. It is completely irrational, but next to rabies, it is probably the worst way to die.

And it isn't as simple as the media blowing it out of proportion. Look at GRID>HIV when it came out; that wasn't airborne, we had modern medical science. Influenza could wreak havoc on this nation if the planets aligned. Don't forget, we aren't that far from the four humors of the body and precious metals to treat illness.
    U.S. Army (RET)
    NRA, GOA, SAF, IDPA, USPSA member

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't think you understand; this has been a phobia of mine for almost twenty years. It is completely irrational, but next to rabies, it is probably the worst way to die.

And it isn't as simple as the media blowing it out of proportion. Look at GRID>HIV when it came out; that wasn't airborne, we had modern medical science. Influenza could wreak havoc on this nation if the planets aligned. Don't forget, we aren't that far from the four humors of the body and precious metals to treat illness.
    Then you address the illogical phobia vs therapy or other approaches vs. defend it. Yes, it as simple as media blowing it out of proportion to get ratings by praying on people like yourself who often don't wear seat belts, etc. Risk assessment using logic/objective approach vs phobic/subjective approach is the most effective approach to reduce risk of legit threats to you and yours. To use yourexample Influenza can and does wreak havoc (no one denies that) and is a legit concern, and the HIV/AIDs threat very low unless you're a gay man who does not use protection and or an intravenous drug user who shares needles.

I'm phobic about flu, as it really sucks to have, and is dangerous for some populations: I get a flu shot, I wash my hands a lot during flu season, and even tend to avoid places with lots of people when flu is in the area, but those are rational responses to a legit threat. Your response, not rational and therefore, members likely to point that out to you vs what? A response that they are stocking up on DuPont Tychem suits, etc due to a single case of Ebola in the US?

Now your wife on the other hand. I'd dump her as she's by far the most likely vector for Ebola for you. I kid!
    Last edited by WillBrink; 10-05-14 at 15:02.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wha...wha...what is this place? A forum thread where common sense over the ebola "crisis" reigns?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Wha...wha...what is this place? A forum thread where common sense over the ebola "crisis" reigns?
    You're absolutely right. This rationality must be quashed immediately. All members are directed to begin construction of private "Wildfire" facilities forthwith. I, fortunately, was able to repurpose a decommissioned Minuteman III silo and save myself enough coin for a sweet hydroponic/aquaculture self-sustaining life support system.

For those unfamiliar with the "Wildfire" structure, here's a primer: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=af7KHl2w7EU#t=268

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast