Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Palmetto State .308

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I've got the problem of not chambering fixed, but now it will double feed every single round. If I use a metal DPMS magazine I get 2 or 3 rounds off before a malufunction, if I use a Magpul LR20 mag it is every single round I get a double feed after I have fired the chambered round.

I've tried using a H buffer, H2 buffer, H3 buffer and a Rifle buffer system.

I'm ready to break this piece of shit in half. I'm going to just part it out and cut my losses. There is ZERO reason to be having this many problems.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The majority of surplus 7.63x51 brass has been fired through machine guns which have larger diameter chambers to prevent the cases from sticking during extraction. This allows the case heads to expand more than normal. Reloading dies often don't size down the case far enough to correct the problem.

JW, when you say you're getting double feeds, you actually mean a failure to eject where you have a spent case and a live round gumming up the works?

Also, what RE were you using with the rifle buffer? A rifle length RE with a rifle buffer on a 308 AR is too long to let the BCG move completely to the rear. The proper combination of parts should be an A5 or Armalite AR-10 carbine length RE with a carbine length buffer
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    I've pretty much narrowed down all my issues to the Ejector spring. It is WAY to stiff. I'm waiting on a replacement as I tried a quick fix of cutting the factory one down a 2 coils. While that lets the rifle chamber every time now fully, about ever 3 or 4 rounds it is stove piping because the spent brass is now not flying far enough from the gun and is just dribbling out and causing issues.
    Chances are the ejector spring was fine, the problem was the profile of the ejector itself.

There are many .308 ejectors I have seen that are square in profile, with sharp corners. The ejector need to have a good bevel, or preferably a radius, on the edge of .020" to .025".

Take the ejector out, chuck it up in an electric drill hold a piece of 320 grit aluminum oxide paper down on a flat surface and spin the ejector and round the corner off. Repeat with 400 grit. Touch up the finish with some cold blue.
    Last edited by lysander; 04-27-15 at 05:35.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    JW, when you say you're getting double feeds, you actually mean a failure to eject where you have a spent case and a live round gumming up the works?

Also, what RE were you using with the rifle buffer? A rifle length RE with a rifle buffer on a 308 AR is too long to let the BCG move completely to the rear. The proper combination of parts should be an A5 or Armalite AR-10 carbine length RE with a carbine length buffer
    Yep using the A5 length RE with a carbine length buffer for the carbine RE setup. The Rifle RE and Ruffer buffer let 308 BCG move completely to rear without issues, travels just as far as the A5 length RE and carbine buffer.

To answer the question on the Malf, what you stated would be correct. Failure to eject and a live round trying to go in at the same time. BCG travels far enough back and is catching the rim of the case as it should, but if I use a Pmag it will do the malfunction EVERY time, but if a metal DPMS 308 AR magazine is used, its every 3rd or 4th round fired.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    JW, I just thought of something else- the rifle spring and carbine buffer might cause a problem if the spring starts binding. The length to which the spring compresses on a carbine buffer is shorter than on a rifle buffer. It's possible the rifle spring is just reaching it's maximum compression and the coils are contacting each other, especially if the wire diameter is a little on the large side. If this is so, a Tubbs flat coil spring might fix the problem.

I'm just spit-balling this one. My M&P-10 uses and A5 style RE, carbine buffer and factory rifle length spring and it's running good. In any case, it might be worth your while to see if your action spring is starting to bind at or near full compression.

Also, I assume you've done the load one round in the mag lock back test- but did you verify it was locking back on the bolt, not just the carrier? I made this same mistake recently tuning my Wolf Pup, an AR shorty, with the adjustable gas block
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Went out on a whim and ordered a DPMS Complete Bolt Assembly from Midway (just the bolt not bcg). Dropped it in the Palmetto Carrier Group. The A5 style RE, Rifle spring and BCM H3 buffer plus the new DPMS bolt have made this gun work 100%.

I'm just curious as to how ****ed up the Palmetto Bolt and the DRD Bolt are that I had tried before...... as the gun shooters 150gr American Eagle 308 from both PMags and Metal Mags just fine now.

Now that it is working, I will be selling this to try and recoop some of my costs.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    The A5 style RE, Rifle spring and BCM H3 buffer plus the new DPMS bolt have made this gun work 100%.
    Rifle spring? There's only one action spring, that's used on both rifle and carbine buffer systems, for the AR-10 pattern buffer system (what you have). What action spring did the gun ship with?

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    Rifle spring? There's only one action spring, that's used on both rifle and carbine buffer systems, for the AR-10 pattern buffer system (what you have). What action spring did the gun ship with?
    a spring that was neither carbine nor rifle length. The spring I am using is a Rifle length spring, a BCM H3 buffer in a A5 length receiver extension, this combined with a DPMS Bolt in the Palmetto Carrier and the gun finally functions both suppressed and unsuppressed 100% of the time.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------

Feedback Score
    I bought my rifle kit with 18 inch SS barrel and and a stripped lower
    It took a week to have them delivered and and hour to get together.uch of that time was finding a flying spring. Sunday morning I put 20 rounds through it. Yesterday 20 more. No problems and no issues. I like my PSA PA10 very much. Remember you don't knock Ford because Chevy parts don't fit. DON'T KNOCK PSA because someone else's parts don't fit it.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by epwrangler View Post
    I bought my rifle kit with 18 inch SS barrel and and a stripped lower
    It took a week to have them delivered and and hour to get together.uch of that time was finding a flying spring. Sunday morning I put 20 rounds through it. Yesterday 20 more. No problems and no issues. I like my PSA PA10 very much. Remember you don't knock Ford because Chevy parts don't fit. DON'T KNOCK PSA because someone else's parts don't fit it.
    You obviously didn't read this entire thread.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast