Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British Army's new Glock 17's

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Did the Brits wind up adopting the standard 17 ? There were some prototypes floating around of Gen 4 Glock 17's with a manual safety which were supposed to be for British military trials.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Did the Brits wind up adopting the standard 17 ? There were some prototypes floating around of Gen 4 Glock 17's with a manual safety which were supposed to be for British military trials.
    What I read, they don't have a manual safety. They commented that in close combat (now I am paraphrasing) worrying about taking a firearm off safety is loss time. They also commented about the three internal safeties.

If I locate the article, I will post the link

EDIT: While the Browning had a manual safety catch that needed to be switched off, with the Glock "you just draw it and engage," Col. Peter Walden told reporters gathered at a London military barracks to see the new weapons.

That's because the Glock has three internal safeties and can be kept loaded in a holster, unlike the Browning, Walden said. Saving those vital one or two seconds could be the difference between life and death, according to Walden.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/01...-armed-forces/
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 10-07-14 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

British Army's new Glock 17's

Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Assume also night sights?
    Just the standard steel option sights for the most part.

I've seen several of our SOF guys running different sight setups, but I assume that's like anything else in this community to where team or unit SOP drives equipment.
    Last edited by Nightstalker865; 10-07-14 at 15:37.

Feedback Score
    When I was working in Basra, I ended up working on some of the brits HPs, after giving some quasi informal pistol shooting lessons to some of their personnel. Their guns almost universally were in piss poor shape and rough as hell over all. They loved our Glocks and many vocally wished they could carry the Glocks, as most all shot them significantly better.

I'm personally glad to see them get what they had been wanting. Mind you this was a small slice of the brit military, but the guys and gals we did our PR/ pistol training with were always excited to have the opportunity to get decent training and shoot the Glocks.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    When I was working in Basra, I ended up working on some of the brits HPs, after giving some quasi informal pistol shooting lessons to some of their personnel. Their guns almost universally were in piss poor shape and rough as hell over all. They loved our Glocks and many vocally wished they could carry the Glocks, as most all shot them significantly better.

I'm personally glad to see them get what they had been wanting. Mind you this was a small slice of the brit military, but the guys and gals we did our PR/ pistol training with were always excited to have the opportunity to get decent training and shoot the Glocks.
    Wonder what they would have thought if they could have compared a new HP vs new Glock instead of worn out old HP vs new Glock...

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brushy bill View Post
    Wonder what they would have thought if they could have compared a new HP vs new Glock instead of worn out old HP vs new Glock...
    Would want it to be an improved Hi-Power. Maybe a MkIII. Or better yet, a product-improved Hi-Power. Like what the Marine Raiders have done with the M45.

Most of the Brits I've talked to hated theirs and were quite envious of those in the holsters of our Canadian - and, IIRC, Australian - cousins.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12