Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of y'all carry extra magazines on your person?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    Another point of reference, I am mid twenties, 6' even, and 155 pounds. I currently carry a VP9 in an RCS holster in the waistband between 3 & 4 o'clock, and in the past have carried anything from a P30 to a Glock 19 or 17. I also wear slim jeans, and somewhat fitted shirts. Button down shirts, even fitted ones, makes concealing a handgun easy for me. Even slim tshirts are usually not a big deal. I honestly think that even very minor differences in everyone's body makes a huge deal in what size handgun that they can conceal.

On this particular topic, I have a hard time concealing a spare magazine, so unfortunately, I do not carry one often. Still on the hunt for a good mag pouch, I have tried a decent number of carriers as well, and even concealing a full size handgun IWB being no issue for me, carrying a spare mag IWB sucks. BFG is supposed to be putting out a belt mounted 10 speed pouch any day now, and I have high hopes for that.
    Rear pocket or front pocket, both closest to your A line. That is easiest way to pocket carry. It works well.

Feedback Score
    But I look so good in skinny jeans!

My question wasn't a dig and was probably poorly worded. At 5'10" and 190, I'm not enormous by any stretch. My girlfriend has been bringing me to a lot of higher-class work functions, and my semi-daily work environments may go from camo to a flight suit, to a suit or slacks and shirt. I'm usually dressed in business casual and most of those items are tailored because I don't want to look like an off-the-rack guy...it's just bad form. Nobody has to know I only pay $4 for a $100 shirt by letting the girl do the bargain shopping.

Anyway some of you guys mentioned what I was talking about. In some attire, it's difficult enough to conceal the gun. Throwing more and more shit on your EDC list means you're leaving the realm of practicality. I chose my daily carry gun because I can carry 16 rounds of my favorite defensive ammo without a spare mag. That's far more than I've ever needed to take control of a situation, I won't be out there firing 600+ rounds into a parked car. My goal is to E&E quickly, engage as fast and effectively as I need to to continue my E&E, and skedaddle on outta there. Were I taking on an offensive role that would be different.

Everything else, the catalog of the ever changing "I only ever use these here XXXXX products" accessories from those oh-so-honest well known name instructors, that can stay in the truck. With my other things that I don't need to stay alive. And this is why I don't carry a 1911, negligible ballistic compromise and more than twice the magazine capacity without having to conduct a reload. It's about time the obsolete guns are called what they are
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Having sixteen rounds ready to rock in one magazine is great, until the gun suffers a magazine-related failure on your second round. Or you failed to seat the magazine properly. Or the magazine release was hit in the holster.

Compared to concealing a full-size 1911 or G17, concealing a magazine and/or a fixed blade is easy. Especially in a world where it seems like half of everybody is wearing a cell phone and/or a multitool on their belt. And if you're wearing a blazer/business jacket/suit coat/sport coat, it's super easy. The trick is finding a tailor who understands and appreciates the need/desire to carry a firearm, magazine, fixed blade, TQ, &c.... whatever's on your "bat belt" and knows how to make alterations accordingly.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

How many of y'all carry extra magazines on your person?

^exactly. Reread the thread and you'll quickly see that people don't carry a backup solely for the capacity, but the event of a mag getting dumped or a magazine failure. A single-round in the chamber may not do the job. If you're a Glock guy, you have certainly come to terms with the idea that your $25 magazine is the biggest failure point.

I carry a Glock, but for CCW, I wouldn't feel undergunned with a properly functioning 1911 with one reload. 8 in the mag, one in the chamber and a follow up mag of 8 is as likely to solve my issue in CCW as a G19 with 14 in the mag and one in the chamber I wouldn't trust a factory Glock mag loaded to capacity.
    Last edited by tylerw02; 10-25-14 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    Fwiw, I find a spare actually pulls the gun closer and concealed better.

Feedback Score
    I carry a Springer ROC, so a 6 round spare officer's mag doesn't take up much space. Carry one in my front pocket.
    In the future, PMAGs will be the currency standard.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    I honestly think that even very minor differences in everyone's body makes a huge deal in what size handgun that they can conceal.
    This is true.

It's also true that there's quite a bit of variation in what people find "acceptable." One man's "conceals fine" is another man's "no go."

I've heard people who are my height and weight say that they have no problems concealing a full size, double stack handgun with nothing but a normal sized t-shirt. Personally, after trying numerous handguns and holsters, I've yet to find a combination that has been at all acceptable for me personally with just that amount of clothing. Either I have to go down in gun size or start adding button downs and the like to the equation.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    Just the rounds in my Glock23 normally. No extra mags. Only time I take an extra mag is when going into the risky areas of ZA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Having sixteen rounds ready to rock in one magazine is great, until the gun suffers a magazine-related failure on your second round. Or you failed to seat the magazine properly. Or the magazine release was hit in the holster.

Compared to concealing a full-size 1911 or G17, concealing a magazine and/or a fixed blade is easy. Especially in a world where it seems like half of everybody is wearing a cell phone and/or a multitool on their belt. And if you're wearing a blazer/business jacket/suit coat/sport coat, it's super easy. The trick is finding a tailor who understands and appreciates the need/desire to carry a firearm, magazine, fixed blade, TQ, &c.... whatever's on your "bat belt" and knows how to make alterations accordingly.
    Good point. I guess my only counter to that is that not only do I thoroughly test each mag for performance and run the most reliable for CCW, I also usually have a backup nearby even if not on my body.

Your brain is a far more effective weapon in a lot of ways. If my weapon suffers an odd mechanical failure that I can't overcome, I'll certainly have other options.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Every mag is perfect until it fails the first time. Close by doesn't help should you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast