Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of y'all carry extra magazines on your person?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I carry a shield 9mm, with one spare mag. It's really so easy to carry, and the ammo capacity of the Shield is so relatively small, that I like having the reload. Because my jobs entail me being looked at by a lot of people a lot of the time, and a lot of moving, bending, and twisting (bartender and brewer, not stripper ) carrying a smaller gun is easier for me. I just can't effectively conceal bigger guns while working without wearing a tent for a shirt. Out and about I may or may not carry a larger gun (G19 or PPQ), but FWIW I usually have an extra mag with me for those as well. Overall I EDC so much stuff on me that putting an extra mag into the mix isn't going to really affect me; so imo why not have one just in case, especially since as noted above it is a fast way to resolve a malfunction?

ETA I was thinking about this the other night while watching Hank's final episode in Breaking Bad. Who thinks he would have minded having another mag or three?
    Last edited by EricTheRed; 10-06-14 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Replacing the magazine with a fresh one is the fastest way to resolve a malfunction, so I carry a spare one.
    ^^^^^^^^^ THIS, not because I'm anticipating getting into a prolonged off duty firefight, but because most malfunctions are going to be ammo related (as in running dry) or ammo/magazine related (an actual physical problem with the ammunition and/or the magazine itself). And often the best way to resolve the malf is with a spare magazine... I've been carrying a semi-auto pistol on and off duty now for most of my 30+ years of service and can remember less than a handful of times I did not have a spare magazine(s) with me.
    It was only a momentary lapse of reason...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One 8-rounder in the Kimber and one in a paddle-type mag holder. If I need any more than that for EDC, I am having a really bad day.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Revolver has 1 speed strip and semis 1, sometimes 2 mags.

The beauty of a firearm and a reload is you won't need it, until you need it. Then you'll really need it.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 10-07-14 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not generally. Sometimes I get a little streak of paranoia and grab extras, though. For instance, when carrying large sums of cash to private sales situations. Cars, guns, bicycles. It's just the perfect time to rob someone. You'll likely be relatively alone, and you know they have a lot of money on them. I still don't think it's likely, but, as many like to point out: being prepared is better than not being prepared.

I strongly believe I could live ten lifetimes unarmed and never need a firearm. But someone out there is going to roll snake eyes. Could be me, someday.

Feedback Score
    We definitely had a thread on this not too long ago.. may be worth looking at that for additional responses.

I carry a spare G19 mag horizontally (in a magholder.com magholder) whether I'm carrying a G17 cut to G19 grip, a G19, or a G26. As other's have said, for me it's not as much about the rounds as it is about having a spare mag to use in clearing a malfunction if necessary.

Feedback Score
    I run one spare with my G19 and 2 spare when I carry my 1911.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    2 spare mags, a pineapple and a 50! Or for reals: just my shield. If I feel like more I carry a 15 rd P30
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I carry a J-frame, typically with no reload.

If I am "in the mood" I might carry an autoloader with one mag in my left front pocket. That is really rare these days.

Nothing wrong with carrying spare mags though.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    G19 and always two spare mags in front pants pocket.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast