Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10K Rounds -- Now what?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

10K Rounds -- Now what?

Gun is an early Stag-built M&P 15. The only problem was early on when the gas key needed re-staking. Otherwise it has run flawlessly.

Ammo has been a roughly 50/50 split between various US-made brass-cased and Wolf.

Shooting has been more hard than soft. The only bench-rest stuff has been while zeroing. Everything else has been for 2-gun or 3-gun matches, or practicing for same. Strings of 30 to 60 rounds have been the norm, and the barrel has gotten too hot to touch countless times. Required level of accuracy for many targets is man-sized within 30 yards, but a few include 3x5-inch steel plates at 100 yards.

Furniture, optics, etc. have been changed around a lot, but everything operational remains from the factory.

Anything I should be thinking of replacing, or am I good for another 10K rounds?
    Last edited by blackscot; 10-07-14 at 11:45.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Maybe a fresh set of gas rings.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Also might keep a spare bolt and spare small parts if you don't already. That's good to hear that its ran well for you

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    At the least I would have a new bolt and lpk as spares.

Feedback Score
    So just the bolt? Why not just carry a the whole bcg, it's cheap enough now.

Feedback Score
    I would replace the bolt (with rings, extractor, etc.) and cam pin, and if it is still acceptably accurate for you, keep going with it.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Cam pin is a good idea. No need to replace the carrier... those will last a long time.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I'm not expert, but being that the cam pin is a cheap part I'd replace it right effing now.

I'd do the test with the gas rings to see if they're still good and replace them if not.

I'd watch the bolt for cracks and have a spare one on hand.

It depends on how much you need the rifle for HD or if it's just a range toy. I'd immediately replace things or not depending on how big a trauma it will be to do without the rifle if something breaks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    At 10,000 rounds if the barrel is still serviceable, I replace the bolt, cam pin, firing pin and firing pin retaining pin. I throw the old parts in my range bag for spares if they appear to have life left in them.

I also thoroughly clean the chamber and check headspace to make sure it is safe to fire.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buffer spring?

Couldn't hurt to put a fresh one in.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast