Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giraud Tool Tri Way Trimmer?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just ordered one myself--realized half the reason I've been shooting my AK's so much is so I don't have to deal with trimming brass.

This oughta solve my issue and get me back to loading.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    For those of you interested in using your Tri Way Trimmer with an external 110v motor, I built mine with a standard Beckett 21805R or 21805U Oil Burner Motor I bought on the Bay for $35 including shipping. It's 110v 3450RPM 1/7hp with a 1/2" shaft. Just install a 2 prong AC plug on the power cord and it's good to go. I'm also using the same delrin coupler from DumpsterCNC as ROK but in Size C ( Side 1 1/2" Side 2 3/8" ). I mounted the motor to a 1/4" thick 7" square piece of aluminum plate with two 3/8-16 x 6 Tap bolts and installed rubber feet on each corner.
    Because the whole Tri Way Trimmer spins when powered on and isn't contained in a housing like the Giraud Power Trimmer I was somewhat concerned with accidentally touching the trimmer during operation. To prevent this I mounted a 2" PVC threaded floor flange to a 7" diameter 1/8" thick aluminum round plate with a 9/16" hole drilled in the center. This is mounted above the motor using two 1/2" thick spacers to allow cooling for the motor and allow space for the heads of the four 5/8-11x1.5" cap screws that secure the floor flange to the aluminum round plate. I then screwed a threaded 2"x4" PVC nipple into the floor flange and screwed on a threaded 2" PVC cap that has a 1-1/2" hole I cut in the top. The hole is big enough that I can easily insert a rifle case into the trimmer and hold it during trimming but prevents any touching of the spinning trimmer during operation. Unscrewing the PVC nipple with cap attached from the floor flange allows easy removal of the cover of the Tri Way trimmer for cleaning and adjustment and access to the delrin coupler for changing trimmers. The cost of the whole unit with the trimmer, motor and other parts was less than $200. This setup also orients the trimmer vertically pointed up as Giraud recommends.
    Last edited by BigAlt; 04-20-17 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Pictures, please!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    This winter I was able to trim about 3k pieces of brass, and I have been keeping up on things incrementally. The trimmer has been an absolute game changer for me. In less than the time I used to spend sorting brass, it's trimmed and waiting to be loaded. Truth be told, I'll probably get into next year's reloading season with the brass already prepped, and I'll be able to spend more time stepping up my SPR game.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Very cool setup ! Tagging for future updates ! I need these in a couple calibers !

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Are you using the trimmer on a drill or set up on a motor like a couple above?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    This winter I was able to trim about 3k pieces of brass, and I have been keeping up on things incrementally. The trimmer has been an absolute game changer for me. In less than the time I used to spend sorting brass, it's trimmed and waiting to be loaded. Truth be told, I'll probably get into next year's reloading season with the brass already prepped, and I'll be able to spend more time stepping up my SPR game.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    Are you using the trimmer on a drill or set up on a motor like a couple above?
    Thanks
    Just a Dewalt drill plugged into the wall. It was less than $65 at Lowe's. I just spent about 20 minutes daily for a couple weeks on it and it was good to go. Caveat to the drill: make sure you get one that doesn't wobble.

I don't sort or anything like that. After setting the trim length to where I wanted it, I just ran all of them through the trimmer. You can tell in under a second the ones that don't need trimming, and the ones that need trimming take about 5 seconds each.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I cannot imagine trimming that many with a Tri-way trimmer. My hand cramps up just thinking about it.
    For practice and hoser brass, I now use a Dillion RT and for precision .223/5.56 I will hit it with the tri-way and then use a VLD chamfer.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'm hoping to work my way to a progressive mounted trimmer eventually. The batches I do are small enough I don't get sore fingers. Sore fingers are why I never intend to deburr, changer, or trim manually ever again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12