Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: S&W 442 Failure (Update - Replacement Rcvd)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseman45 View Post
    Interesting that you bring this up. I just got to handle a 9mm LCR...which has some interesting advantages, such as wide ammunition availability and variety. However, according to the LGS guy, they take a proprietary moon clip which doesn't interchange with the S&W style.
    The concept interests me. If one is near to me I'd like to borrow and play with it. Otherwise, it's another layer of stuff and variables that I don't think I'll mess with.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Skintop, I'll share what little I know about working on J frame actions. As stated, the hesitation/hitch sensation is coming from the rebound slide and is being felt now because of decreased spring pressure from the custom spring. Try this: after dis-assembly, hold the rebound slide and use a fine stone to break the edge on the frame side. Now place the slide on a flat surface(counter top or glass pane). Polish by sliding it across very fine grit sandpaper like 400/500. Don't worry about tool marks--just polish surface. If you use two different grits, remember to clean rebound slide surface after changing to next grit. Also, polish rebound slide's interior so that coil spring will slide smoothly.

Now pick up the safety bar that operates off rebound slide. Use your Dremel tool to polish this piece, which can be a big pest to the best action job. In the old days competition double action shooters frequently discarded this part. Note where it contacts slide.

Back to the frame. Use Flitz to polish inside of frame contacted by rebound slide. I hesitate to use a stone on aluminum. If your frame were steel, you would use a square stone to break the edge corresponding to same edge "broken" on rebound slide.

Your experience with aluminum J frames is fairly common. J frames as a group can be cantankerous when substituting custom springs for factory.
    Last edited by williejc; 11-15-14 at 23:25. Reason: spelling

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345