Thread: S&W 442 Failure (Update - Replacement Rcvd)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

S&W 442 Failure (Update - Replacement Rcvd)

Earlier this summer, I found some unusual wear on the hammer nose bushing of my S&W model 442-2. It started as minor deformation at or about the viewer’s 3:00 position (shooter’s 9:00) in the photo below. As it was causing no issues at the time, I elected to watch it as it progressively increased to what you see pictured.

In early August, I shot 94 rounds through this 442 during an IDPA match. After the match, I noted all new deformation at 6:00 on the bushing. There also seemed to be a faint crack developing across it, but I was unable to capture it in the photo.

This gun is serial number DCU####, in service since ~04/2011, and has fired 1,819 rounds to date.

L/R View

Fast response from my S&W LE rep got a call tag to me quickly (8/11) and I shipped the gun to MA. I heard back from the factory on or about 08/27 and learned the gun was not repairable. Staff in MA requested an FFL for shipment of a replacement, which was transmitted with receipt confirmed on 08/29. Noting that the gun was a no-lock 442, a replacement without a lock was specifically requested. Status checks to MA thereafter on 09/08 and 09/22 have gone unanswered.

As I await that response and replacement, does anyone have any theories on causality? Is it a simple part quality anomaly, or are there other visible indications of a larger issue with this particular frame? Armorer inspection revealed all else to be in spec, with no excess play or other problem. A check of a couple dozen other Js shows no similar wear patterns. That includes a 642 BUG at ~2k rounds (documented), and others with higher counts (reported). I do perceive some greater visible wear compared to some of those others, but that’s subjective.

All thoughts appreciated.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That is a really low round count to have this sort of problem.

What ammunition were you shooting? Did you notice any pierced primers at any time since you have owned the revolver?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Weird. Mine is way past this and looks ok. Metallurgy?? Maybe it was over hardened?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No pierced primers. This was a project gun as well as an EDC, so ammo ran the gamut. Here's the basic list.

CCI Blazer 158 TMJ +P
    Speer 135 GDHP +P
    Black Hills Ammunition 148 HBWC, 158 RNL (.38 LC), 158 SWC, 125 GDHP +P
    Winchester 130 FMJ (USA), 110 STHP
    Corbon 110 DPX, 80gr Glaser
    Federal 130 FMJ RTP
    PMC 132 FMJ
    Magtech 158 LRN
    Ultramax 148 HBWC, 158 SWC
    Herters 158 FMJ
    S&B 158 FMJ
    3D 148 HBWC
    Hornady 110 Critical Defense
    Remington 101 Disintegrator Frang

Feedback Score
    What kind of dryfire frequency has this unit seen?
    I miss the dentist...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    What kind of dryfire frequency has this unit seen?
    Quite a bit, but less than many others.

Feedback Score
    I will be interested to see the outcome on this. I've worn out a series of J-frames. Mostly finish wear and they get loose over time (shooting with +P rounds). A brand new Model 36 ($75.00 NIB), a NOS M40 Centennial (pinned grip safety & Tyler grip adapter) and currently a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace grips. Carry has been on ankle (Jack Ass Leather and Alessi), shoulder holster (Bianchi) and pocket holster (Galco & DeSantis). My daughter uses one as a second gun and deep concealment.

I'll keep high hopes for some outstanding customer service on this one.
    Avatar = Comparison between standard and high capacity clips.