Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which collapsible buttstock and why?

Feedback Score

Which collapsible buttstock and why?

In your experience which of the various collapsible buttstocks have proven to be best and what makes you feel that way.

Positive anchor on the shoulder, cheek weld or feel, width or shape, storage or not... what are must haves and why?

Feedback Score
    I'd say a lot of that depends on the shooter. What I consider the best and you consider the best may be two completely different things.

Personally I'm a fan of the Magpul stocks, in particular the STR. I started out running a standard MOE carbine stock and later upgraded to an STR on my AR and a CTR on my AK. Between those three stocks that I've used I prefer the STR. I went to that particular stock because I wanted something that had a better cheek weld than the MOE and also had storage compartments in it. Initially I wanted the ACS but decided it was too long for my SBR and I wanted something a bit more compact. I like the cheek weld on the STR alot better than the MOE and CTR stocks and with the STR you get two storage tubes that I use for batteries but I'm sure you could fit other stuff in there if you wanted to. In regards to cheek weld that problem if it's an issue for you, can be fixed on he MOE and CTR stocks but it requires that you purchase a riser for it. IIRC Magpul makes I believe three different riser options. Another feature on the STR, CTR, ACS and ACS-L stocks that I also enjoy is the friction lock. Basically what it does is it prevents any movement on the buffer tube. With my MOE stock I noticed that it liked to wiggle around on the buffer tube. With my CTR and STR with the friction lock engaged there is no movement whatsoever unless I want to shorten or lengthen the LOP.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    B5 Sopmod.

-not the lightest, which is a good thing. Adds some weight aft on the carbine, which I like. I'd rather have 'balanced' than 'light'.
    -great cheekweld
    -integral QD points
    -storage
    -good price IMO
    -easy to adjust
    -all I've come across have fit tight on the RE (if that matters to you)
    Last edited by munch520; 10-09-14 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    New BCM stock, be the first on your block to have one.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    B5 SOPMOD (Not Vtlor)
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 10-09-14 at 16:29. Reason: False info

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Magpul CTRs on my primary 16" middy rifles, simple, durable, locks tight, comes with QD mount.

SOPMOD on my SPR clone, worked great on an issued M4 too. The extra weight balances out the rifle, especially heavier setups like the SPR. Of course it has great cheekweld, watertight battery storage, and QD mount.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is really user preference when it comes to stocks and grips. What feels good to some might suck for you.

Personally have used a number of Magpul stocks and have always thought they were well thought out and usable stocks from a fit, function, and finish point of view. B5's stocks have been nice as well, and I did own a B5 bravo for quite some time before selling it. On my current rifles I am running an ACS on one of my BCMs, it is a psuedo DMR type set up with an ACOG and I like the extra length and cheek weld. My other BCM is rocking an old, CTR that has seen some shit and still is fine ,if a little loose nowadays from being run up and down and on now four or five different rifles. Lastly I have a BCM M4 stock on an old Bushy that I have returned to its basic stock configuration, with a few improvements(Milspec RE, and replaced shitty parts) that I like playing with as a range toy, or to introduce new shooters to ARs without all the shit hanging off of my other carbines.

If you have the option I would try to handle a few and at least shoulder a few and see what you like the best.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Personal preference. I'm running a mix of Magpul STR, ACS-L, B5 SOPMOD and B5 Bravo. I think the STR is my favorite, but all of those work well for me, with the SOPMOD my second favorite. The new BCM will probably be good too. VLTOR's E-mod was too large and heavy for my taste, and their original modstock and iMod are too short and light for my taste (too light = poor balance of the rifle).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like some have said, it really depends on personal preference. There are a lot of excellent choices on the market. Personally, I have taken a liking to the B5 SOPMOD. I have them on three of my ARs. I have also used the following: VLTOR EMOD, LMT SOPMOD, MAGPUL MOE, MAGPUL CTR, MAGPUL ACS-L. As far as storage goes, I would recommend the B5 SOPMOD, LMT SOPMOD, or the MAGPUL ACS-L. Another one that is new to the market is the LaRue Tactical RAT stock. You may want to check it out as well. Good luck.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    B5 Bravo.

If you don't store batteries or anything in your stocks, like I don't, I don't think you can beat the B5 Bravo for the price. It does't have much play, gives good cheekweld surface (but not too much), has dual QD sockets, and only costs $58!

I've run many stocks through a lot of classes and matches etc, and at the end of the day, the B5 Bravo stock is the one that stays on most of my rifles. If I wanted storage, I would go with the B5 SOPMOD

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast