Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which collapsible buttstock and why?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Which collapsible buttstock and why?

Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    B5 SOPMOD, as Munch said plus the QD's are rotation limited so your sling doesn't get twisted up. I use SOPMODs on all my AR's, personal and issue.
    Seems like we're frequently on the same page. great minds...

Haha

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    LOL! My favorite stock. And usually if you can't find a "takeoff" that someone wants to discard in favor of his ninety-dollar-whatever then you're not looking hard enough. I think I paid a whole twenty bucks at a show for my last stock.

I have been known to remove the rear sling loop depending on whether I can thread my sling through the slot. That loop just snags on too many things if it doesn't actually have a sling through it.
    It just does what a stock needs to do.

I don't need 4-wheel drive to ride down a paved road in South Georgia...I don't need a stock that will fry an egg, either.

; )

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Interesting you mention that, apparently that's a selling feature on the Bravo but I ditched all mine bc the uber sticky buttpad annoyed the hell out of me.
    I'm growing to hate my older none butt padded stocks. Indeed.. when shooting in sloppy t-shirts, the butt pad will drive my nuts some days. But that's the exception for me.

When you get into wearing real gear/clothing/armor... the buttpad is my preference.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Which collapsible buttstock and why?

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm growing to hate my older none butt padded stocks. Indeed.. when shooting in sloppy t-shirts, the butt pad will drive my nuts some days. But that's the exception for me.

When you get into wearing real gear/clothing/armor... the buttpad is my preference.
    I noticed it first with under armor shirts. But being that combat shirts and other pro wear is the same type fabric in the shoulder pocket, it's just as annoying when real kit. I've found at least.
    Last edited by munch520; 10-09-14 at 19:13.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had posted this reply to MarkM about buttpads on stocks in the 'BCM stock disassembled thread', and thought it more applicable here. Needless to say, I'm a CAR stock kinda guy (for general purpose use).

"A few reasons I don't prefer padded stocks for general use: Added weight, impedes manipulations, increased length of pull.

I've tried padded stocks at work, starting with the issued LMT SOPMOD, moving to the padded VLTORs, then the B5. I found that, depending on the stickiness of the material, they typically got hung up on uniforms, kit, etc... when attempting to manipulate the weapon (high ready stuff, reloads). I have the freedom to choose armor that doesn't impede my normal shoulder placement, so having the pad there for extra 'stick' was a non-factor.

Secondly, given my physiology and how I shoot (buttstock fully extended, slightly bladed), I find the added length of pads throw off my eye-relief when using irons or low-powered variables (because many new(er) stocks are never consistent in their length, I have to constantly re-work my setup to adjust for the different LOP). Sounds picky, and it's largely a 'feel' thing, but I have become very accustomed to a standard length stock (or, what used to be standard) such as a CAR stock (my preference for non-recce guns) or the VLTOR stocks without the pad. For example, my CAR stock measures right at 6 1/8" tip to tail. MM shot me some measurements (thank you again) at ~6.6"-6.7" for the new BCM stock. That's around a 1/2" added to the overall length. Significant? Probably not to those who came from a B5 Bravo, SOPMOD, or the like. Some might say, "Just collapse the stock in one position, and you're good". I prefer not to do that. When one collapses the stock from the fully extended position (not including the A5 system), many times you run into the issue of the charging handle overlapping the front of the stock when pulled back. Maybe not a big deal to some, but I don't like pinched fingers and the potential of the charging handle rubbing/scraping/contacting the edge of the stock every time I have to pull charging handle fully to the rear.

In the end, I have a requirement for a lightweight, functional stock that (preferentially) has hard mounted sling attachment points, and I keep coming back to the CAR stock for general use. I wanted the BCM stock to be it (increased durability, decent cheekweld options), but I don't like being told I 'have to' use the pad for the reasons stated above. I know I'm in the minority and I don't want it to be perceived that I'm bashing their stock, as I'm sure it improves on robustness and durability (especially having the pad on during the drop-test, etc...), but it just doesn't look like my thing. Apologies for the long post....

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I prefer the rubber buttpad on SOPMODs as they allow me to shoot better in unconventional positions and when wearing kit. The "grippiness" gives better purchase that keeps the buttstock from slipping off my shoulder which allows me to have a more consistent cheek wield. In the Army I initially used the CAR type "N" stock, then the Gen II that's still issued, and in both cases find it hard to keep the stock where I want it as the plastic slips off my shoulder and armor.

Of course if you don't like the buttpad for various reasons- it just pops off the SOPMOD. Problem solved.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I prefer the B5 sopmod, awesome cheek weld and the storage tunes allow you to either put batteries, sbr paperwork or bballast in them. I have some other Magpul stocks and while I do like them, I definitely prefer the B5.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    B5 Bravo.

Has a rubber pad - I grew up shooting shotguns with thick, sticky recoil pads and baggy, ill-fitting heavy clothing and have never had a problem with rubber pads since. But put a pack or armor on, and guns with slick butts slid right off.
    Is simple.
    Lightweight.
    I like the cheek wield.
    And it comes in Wolf Gray.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Magpul UBR - incredibly solid, durable, and best off all, comfortable. It also has presets do an extension takes you to your favorite position every time. Balances out any rifle, not just front heavy ones.
    The best made, most well thought out stock period.

B5 SOPMOD - of you're stuck using a standard receiver extension, this is the stock to have. Tight fit, useful storage, excellent buttpad, and built in QD sockets.

VLTOR IMOD - if you like the idea of the SOPMOD stock but don't like the extra length, this is almost as good or equal.
    Last edited by masakari; 10-10-14 at 00:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My choice is the vltor. Solid and high quality.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast