Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which collapsible buttstock and why?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not really sure where this complaint of "sticky" buttpads is coming from. All of my stocks have rubber buttpads and none of them feel sticky. Maybe they were at one point when they were brand new but not anymore. Seems you guys complaining need to use your stocks more.

Feedback Score
    I like the BCM B5 for the cheek weld and the price.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    In your experience which of the various collapsible buttstocks have proven to be best and what makes you feel that way.

Positive anchor on the shoulder, cheek weld or feel, width or shape, storage or not... what are must haves and why?
    The Crane SOPMOD (LMT, B5) remains the most comfortable stock I've used, and I appreciate the storage capacity although I no longer use that particular feature. The B5 tends to lock up a bit tighter and is as every bit as quality as the more expensive LMT. I also like the Magpul STR and the LWRC Compact. Tried the VLTOR IMOD and it was nice, but I wasn't too keen on the battery compartment seam. For me it's all about the look and feel, and those stocks are what I'd personally select above others.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For my needs, I have found the LWRC Compact Stock to be the best. It's like the LMT/B5 SOPMOD and the Colt Fiberlite CAR got it on and had an illegitimate child. It provides the the SOPMOD's cheekweld and robustness with the CAR's simplicity and shortness. It gives me a good LOP and mount whether I am wearing my plates and/or concealable armor or nothing at all.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Not really sure where this complaint of "sticky" buttpads is coming from. All of my stocks have rubber buttpads and none of them feel sticky. Maybe they were at one point when they were brand new but not anymore. Seems you guys complaining need to use your stocks more.
    Desert dirt/dust helps correct this sticky issue fairly well. Other than that you could do like Sir Joseph Dirte (Joe Dirt) and spray PAM on it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Desert dirt/dust helps correct this sticky issue fairly well. Other than that you could do like Sir Joseph Dirte (Joe Dirt) and spray PAM on it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Of the stocks I have personally tried (Generic M4 Collapsible, Mapgul CTR, STR and ACS-L) I like the ACS-L the best. It has enough storage and enough cheek weld for my use without being overly bulky. It is the just right stock for me. However, I think picking a stock is like picking shoes. They can be made well and have all the features you want, but if they don't fit you, they are useless.
    ••••••••••••••••••••
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For lightweight stocks, I've had good experiences with the Magpul CTR, but I would probably go with the B5 SOPMOD if I were doing a build today.

For best all around stock, I would nominate the Magpul STR, generally. But, my cheekweld does not seem to agree with certain optics that are very sensitive to head placement. For some reason, I find myself a little left of where I should be. This is correctable, of course, but I don't want to have to correct it. The more I play with stocks that provide "improved" cheek surfaces, the more I want such improvements to be minimal. I've gone back to the narrower ones (except for the B5).

You might want to look at the "Buttstock Bashfest" article. The authors are at pains to point out that the reasons for getting a particular stock go far beyond what they are testing for, but it provides some useful info:

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gears...ugh-talk-goes/
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    In your experience which of the various collapsible buttstocks have proven to be best and what makes you feel that way.

Positive anchor on the shoulder, cheek weld or feel, width or shape, storage or not... what are must haves and why?
    Feel and looks are extremely personal at best. A better way to ask is, which is the most rugged stocks out there? Ones that will pass the .Mil drop test.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like the Magpul ACS for my survival rifle. I store fishing line,hooks,waterproof matches,batteries,a couple of spare bullets,small knife etc. and it has a great cheek weld for me. My HD rifles wear the B5 sopmod or standard m4 stock.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast