Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let the judging begin!

Feedback Score

Let the judging begin!

Well this build has been evolving for quite awhile. I actually think it will stay pretty close to its present incarnation unless the M4C world convinces me of the errors of my ways. So without further ado, here goes.

The lower is a billet Tactical Innovations that I put together using a LPK from Grant. I substituted a Geissele SSA trigger and a Battle Arms Development ambi safety. I originally intended to use a Norgon ambi mag release but discovered the hard way that it wouldn't work on this billet so it went back in the parts bin. Sad. BCM Mod 4 Gunfighter.

The only part on the lower that has come and gone a few times is the Tactical Link battery assist lever. I want to keep it off to keep this build simple but I keep putting it back on because I like the functionality. I have had no malfunctions with it in place even while using Tula. I know, I know but the stuff is inexpensive and my son loves pulling the trigger as much as me so what's a guy to do? Besides, when I shoot out the barrel with this crap it will give me an excuse to build an upper which I have not yet attempted.

I did do some mild color fill, red/white for fire and safe. May the gods of M4C be kind to that transgression.

The grip is the Ergo brand. The stock is a VLTOR IMOD. Since I can't put batteries in the grip I decided I needed a stock that would hold some 123's for my light. I went simple on the sling. Blue Force offered this Victory sling as buy one get one free for a buddy so I figured that was a good way to help out an old buddy of mine. New sling, free sling, everybody wins. I used a QD front and BFG's Universal Wire Loop with QD socket. From the pics you can see it single and double. I actually think this sling has pushed me over to prefer the unpadded vice padded slings. Of course I haven't hauled it around all day over terrain and whatnot so I suspect I am not a great judge of that. Magpul ASAP receiver plate.

The upper was a box stock takeoff from a 6920. I removed the delta ring and cap and installed a Centurion Arms rail. Troy rear BUIS and Aimpoint T1 in a TangoDown rubber cover riding a LaRue QD mount.

The final parts were rail covers and fore grips. Went back and forth many times to arrive at what you see here. I had a stubby fore grip for a long time but I used it more as a hand stop and I had an AFG sitting around from a trade that I always thought was goofy but I tried it anyway. I discivered that I liked it enough to buy one in FDE. The rail covers also changed a bunch. Other than the pain in the ass factor when changing them out I love the Magpul enhanced XTM panels. Forgive my alternating black/FDE color scheme. I thought about lying and saying I did it to break up the pattern but really really I just thought it looked cool. Yea I know.

Final part was the light. I played around with a X300 but I ended up with this Franken light. I used the body from an old Surefire E2 then I added the protected push button cap and the KX2C head. I discovered that under recoil the light would cycle on and off. Probably not a huge deal since it occurred so quickly but it bugged me. Old school fix was an O ring inserted inside the tube under the battery stack. Everything tightened up, no issues. Gear Sector mount BTW.

Well, there she is. She is my pride and joy so be gentle but point out my flaws and I might readdress. Thanks for reading. Pete
    Last edited by pedropcola; 10-10-14 at 21:55.

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by pedropcola; 10-10-14 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with it at all really. If it shoots good, its g2g. It is similar to some of mine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Seems like a solid gun.

On the subjective side of things, I would prefer a slightly longer rail, given the barrel length, but to each his own. FSPs are nice and robust, but do limit rail options somewhat.
    Last edited by Benito; 10-10-14 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    True. When I bought the Centurion rail I didn't adequately consider their longer version with the FSP cutout. That being said I don't have a long wingspan anyway so it's not a huge handicap to me.

Feedback Score

Let the judging begin!

Quote Originally Posted by pedropcola View Post
    True. When I bought the Centurion rail I didn't adequately consider their longer version with the FSP cutout. That being said I don't have a long wingspan anyway so it's not a huge handicap to me.
    A longer rail will also help with realestate for your lights and accessories.
    I recently added a Midwest Industries Free-Float T10 Rail to give me a little more real estate but my handhold has remained unchanged.

Your AR looks fantastic I'm just merely pointing out some options.
    Last edited by ex95B10; 03-02-15 at 18:19.
    RANGE TIME on Facebook
    RANGE TIME on Instagram
    RANGE TIME on Twitter
    NRA Life Member/RSO

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You mean rail estate?

Pedro, that's a nice rifle. As to suggesting what changes to make, I'll add my vote to "Changing to a a Longer Handguard".

I'm impressed that you'd stand here before us and admit you did something simply because you thought it was cool. A tip of the hat to you, sir!
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Well I was actually somewhat serious about shooting out the barrel. I am dying to build an upper so I would go midlength with a longer rail. Still probably stick with a FSP though. I know aesthetics doesn't mean anything in the big picture but it certainly is a bonus if you don't lose anything by doing it. With my limited need of rail space I should probably look into key mod or mlok for the next one.

Feedback Score
    Looks like a solid build to me. The only thing I wonder about is why the T1 is so far back. Generally the further you can get a RDS the better.

Feedback Score
    I played with my T1 forward and aft and it seemed more natural in the aft position. I have never read anything that pushed me to place it one way or the other so I just went with the more comfortable position. Neither spot was significantly different to my eyes so I would certainly listen to the rationale of one spot over the other. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast