Thread: First SBR wish me luck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Cool First SBR wish me luck

Just E-Filed my first form 1 lower since reading about the process for over a year. With the thinking it'll be engraved with my trust so I be keeping it forever, here what I'm building (first build as well, wish me luck). My current 14.5 pinned N4 NSR performance drove most of my choices, along with reading recommendations and reviews on here.

Lower:
    Stripped Noveske 1st gen Lower
    Colt LPK wo Trigger group
    Geisele SSA
    Grip?
    CTR or B5 Bravo stock

Upper:
    Noveske Vltor
    10.5 Noveske SS with gas block not bought
    BCM BCG
    9 or 11" Noveske NSR or other light key mod rail not bought
    KX5 for now, no money for suppressor yet......
    ?? BUIS Front and Rear probably magpul pro
    Aimpoint pro for now (have one on Handi 300 Blk)

I was actually surprised how reasonable the total investment is (excluding Aimpoint and Tools) with a little shopping around. Watching every AR building video in existence while I wait for the stamp........

Noah

Feedback Score
    Sounds like it's going to turn out to be a good looking rifle. The good thing is that your wait shouldn't take too long. I just got back my form 4 after waiting 9 months for a factory DD MK18.

Now that its approved I'm going to start my first half build and put together an upper for the Noveske SS 12.5 bbl I bought a few months back and swap it out with the MK18 lower. Post pics once yours is complete.
    USMC 2011-Present

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Just E-Filed my first form 1 lower since reading about the process for over a year. With the thinking it'll be engraved with my trust so I be keeping it forever, here what I'm building (first build as well, wish me luck). My current 14.5 pinned N4 NSR performance drove most of my choices, along with reading recommendations and reviews on here.

Lower:
    Geisele SSA
    Grip?
    CTR or B5 Bravo stock

Upper:
    Noveske Vltor
    10.5 Noveske SS with gas block not bought
    BCM BCG
    9 or 11" Noveske NSR or other light key mod rail not bought
    KX5 for now, no money for suppressor yet......
    ?? BUIS Front and Rear probably magpul pro
    Aimpoint pro for now (have one on Handi 300 Blk)

I was actually surprised how reasonable the total investment is (excluding Aimpoint and Tools) with a little shopping around. Watching every AR building video in existence while I wait for the stamp........

Noah
    Here's what a 10.5 Noveske barrel looks like with the 11 inch Nsr rail.
    Unfortunately I bought a suppressor so in 9 months or so I have to swap it out for something shorter that will work a can.

Feedback Score
    did you already buy all of it? I like the STR over the CTR

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Everything but barrel and rail before the stamp so not constructive assembly or whatever it is called (having parts to make SBR before stamp). I like CTR on other Noveske 14.5 pinned, but stocks are $100 or less, so I can always switch later. Planning on H2 Buffer and Spring like Noveske uses on their factory built 10.5 NSR....assuming that's going to run well.

Hey Cage, I may have misunderstood, but you can't remove the KX5 and just thread a can?

Noah

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Everything but barrel and rail before the stamp so not constructive assembly or whatever it is called (having parts to make SBR before stamp). I like CTR on other Noveske 14.5 pinned, but stocks are $100 or less, so I can always switch later. Planning on H2 Buffer and Spring like Noveske uses on their factory built 10.5 NSR....assuming that's going to run well.

Hey Cage, I may have misunderstood, but you can't remove the KX5 and just thread a can?

Noah
    The barrel sits down inside the rail far enough that the threaded portion is about say an inch inside the rail. The NSR has a very small inside diameter and I ordered an AAC can that is way bigger than the inside diameter of it. I like the NSR because it feels slim and will probably swap it with a NSR 9. If you look at the factory uppers they have the NSR 9 with the KX5 completely exposed that would be a better way to go if you ever wanted to suppress it and stay with the NSR rail. I made the decision on the 11 inch with the KX5 because I liked the look of their Infidel. I then shot a suppressed rifle and decided I wanted one and am trying to go back and convert 3 different rifles to accept it. If I would have planned to suppress it down the road I would have went with the NSR 9. All the information I could scrounge up on here and other forums seems to say that you need a rail 1 inch shorter than your barrel unless it's one of the fat ones that will fit the suppressor inside it. The only good part is I have a extra handgaurd to build up a Crusader or 14.5 inch lightweight rifle with!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cagekicker View Post
    The NSR has a very small inside diameter and I ordered an AAC can that is way bigger than the inside diameter of it.
    Yeah, smallest diameter suppressor I've found is 1.37" diameter, with NSR inner 1.31", but never even thought about this, THANKS! Exactly what draws me to the NSR could be my nemesis down the road....hmmmm, ok, have to get the 9" rail then........

Noah

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good luck the hardest part was locating all the little parts and waiting for the stamp. It's so much fun that when you are done you will want to build another. Make sure you get a good set of punches and I like the upper vice rod from brownells. Made things much easier. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod27452.aspx makes it a lot easier to torque the barrel nut and no worries about the reciever.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Finished tonight.

Lower:
    Geisele SSA
    FG Moe Grip
    FG CTR Stock

Upper:
    Noveske Vltor
    10.5 Noveske SS with gas block w/Headspaced Bolt
    BCM BCG
    FG 9"Noveske NSR
    KX5
    MAGPUL Buis
    Aimpoint pro

Went with Foliage Green as Noveske had a 9" NSR Foliage Green NSR in-stock. Just need to freeze & grease gas block pin to install it and range time on Saturday.

Noah

FullSizeRender.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Finished tonight.

Lower:
    Geisele SSA
    FG Moe Grip
    FG CTR Stock

Upper:
    Noveske Vltor
    10.5 Noveske SS with gas block w/Headspaced Bolt
    BCM BCG
    FG 9"Noveske NSR
    KX5
    MAGPUL Buis
    Aimpoint pro

Went with Foliage Green as Noveske had a 9" NSR Foliage Green NSR in-stock. Just need to freeze & grease gas block pin to install it and range time on Saturday.

Noah

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Nice it turned out great I like the foilage green. I think you will enjoy it, I love mine. If you get a chance go do some night fire it will make you appreciate the Kx5!