Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How many of you actually fired/drew a handgun in a CCW experience

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lurpygeek View Post
    I've never had to (knock on wood), but I know someone who has... which makes me wonder if I could...
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    If you think you can't pull the trigger, carry quick clot and or vaseline. Quick Clot to plug the hole in your body of a loved one, vaseline to lube your gun before it gets shoved where the Sun don't shine. You should have already made up your mind what you can or can't do.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIGMUAMevH0

Feedback Score
    Haven't had to, hope I never do.

Prepared just in case.
    "Like the shiver of excitement you’d get if someone suddenly gave you permission to set fire to Piers Morgan." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If some scruffy dude tries to knock down my door in the middle of the night (granted, I'm not a fugitive from justice), I doubt that I would wait an inordinate amount of time to hear him make his little statement about being a "Bail Bondsman ..." or whatever before rotating my safety/selector to something other than the peace and tranquility position." - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lurpygeek View Post
    I've never had to (knock on wood), but I know someone who has... which makes me wonder if I could...
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones reference?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Last edited by rjacobs; 10-22-14 at 17:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike169 View Post
    Make sure that's still within policy, it's not that way for me. I do keep my CCW current, but by policy I must qualify with anything I carry, on or off duty. Additionally, I'd bet that if you have a weapon you're carrying "under your ccw" as opposed to your commission, your department might not cover you under LEOSA for that weapon.

Just some thoughts.
    Valid points, thanks for bringing it up. We also have a policy that in a nutshell states, "in an emergency use of any accessible weapon is permitted."

I've never thought about LEOSA as I rarely travel outside of my state. I briefly read over it [the section covering non-retired] and unless I missed something, I don't believe LEOSA specifically indicates the weapon we carry off-duty/concealed must be the same weapon we qualify with under the department. Our state law regarding peace officers carrying weapons doesn't specify either.

With that said, I believe to cover all my bases I'll qualify with the G27 next go around. The LCP at 25 yards will be interesting.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    have fired your handgun in a CCW experience or drew your gun, both of which the LEO's were called.

Was your pistol seized as evidence?

How long was it in evidence or how long has it been in evidence?

Do you think you will ever get it back?

How expensive of a gun is it in the evidence locker?

Thank you for your answers...

BTW: If not you, Then a friend of a brother in laws cousin will work for a story anyway.
    I guess you are asking several questions here and I read a lot of different answers but maybe not the ones you are looking for?

Is it a matter of how expensive of a firearm you want locked up and what kind of condition you're going to get it back in (if at all)? The reason I ask is I see these questions all the time on the 1911/GlockTalk/XDTalk (fill in the blank) especially when concerning high end 1911 pistols. People say they don't want to carry their Wilson Combat because if they ever had to use it to defend themselves it would be taken. If they got it back at all it would be marked, scratched and rusted. Therefore you must carry something cheap and plentiful like a Hi-Point. Actually I jest about the hi-point but to carry a lesser gun based on these fears is absolutely insane in my mind. You carry the best gun you can, the best gun that works all the time and puts the holes where you want them. If that's your $8500 Heirloom Precision commander built by Ted Yost himself then so be it. Carry that gun and in the event you have to use it it goes into evidence. But hopefully you go home. Your pride and joy pistol is nothing more than an item in a chain of custody form and bag. You may not see it again and most likely if you do it won't be as pretty. SO WHAT, you obviously were forced to use said gun to save your life. Glock / Sig / XD / 1911 it doesn't matter. As long as you have a quality gun that works and can protect your life then it did it's job. Let it rest in evidence. I likely have more things to concern myself with than the evindence tech's oiling up my Les Baer while it rusts away. Even in a justified shooting the price of that pistol will be rather small compared to other legal expenses. I carry the best gun to do the job, if it happens to be my Baer TRS the that's fine. When and if I get it back it will be properly thanked and either back into service or placed on a spot on my wall.
    Last edited by MStarmer; 10-25-14 at 11:41.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse H View Post
    Valid points, thanks for bringing it up. We also have a policy that in a nutshell states, "in an emergency use of any accessible weapon is permitted."

I've never thought about LEOSA as I rarely travel outside of my state. I briefly read over it [the section covering non-retired] and unless I missed something, I don't believe LEOSA specifically indicates the weapon we carry off-duty/concealed must be the same weapon we qualify with under the department. Our state law regarding peace officers carrying weapons doesn't specify either.

With that said, I believe to cover all my bases I'll qualify with the G27 next go around. The LCP at 25 yards will be interesting.
    Back before retirement, off duty qual was slightly modified from duty qualification. Fewer rounds and start at 10 yds instead of 15 yds.
    When I carried a Bersa Thunder 380 all the time off duty, I did the same quals as duty with it. Gun shops sure sold lots of them after that. I was busy doing quals for Deputies with new off duty guns. I don't know id me and the P380 could do that now.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    The problem with these types of threads is the statutes of limitations and civil law. Most folks are smart enough not to share their experiences due to one of those two factors.
    Precisely.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345