Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many of you actually fired/drew a handgun in a CCW experience

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    When someone gives me the finger on the road I give them the thumbs up and smile. It pisses them off way more than returning the gesture.
    Bro, you mad?

Gets them every time.

Feedback Score
    Yeah...I usually carry the Glock 17 and two extra 17 rounders in a mag pouch in the glove box. There is also an old 1200 Winny pump in the trunk and several boxes of 00 buck nearby.

Still...I don't give people the finger back or try to taunt them with a smile or other gestures. I merely shrugged my shoulders at this moron and I think my inaction was only making him more mad.

I kept going over and over in my head, "ok...stay calm and the gun does not come out unless he touches the car or tries to yank me out."

The guy was well over 6 feet and huge...I am maybe 5ft 9in and 175 pounds on a good day. Again...I was also headed to a meeting and was in a suit - not really wanting to do battle with anyone. LOL

Good thing was once I racked the slide and showed him the gun...that was it...he wanted no part of that! LOL Big guy ran back to his car and took off.

If I had no gun in the car..who knows how that would have gone?

Still...you HAVE to keep a cool head and don't get the gun out unless it appears there is NO other alternative to stopping the situation.

I seriously hope that NEVER happens again and I certainly do NOT go looking for that kind of interaction.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    It is very interesting to read the answers that have already been posted. I assume a larger agence would just issue another department pistol. Smaller agency, you may be left to provide your own replacement. The decent handguns I took to forensics for testing I noted condition, also had photos. Later when I picked them up, chain of custody, they appeared to have been drug up and down main st paved in cobblestone. They were beat to pieces. These are some more of the horror stories I was looking for.
    Thanks and please add more if you are able or feel comfortable.
    The example I gave of the LEO who waited 3 years to get his gun back had to buy another. They are one of the largest agencies in the country but their folks have to buy their own duty weapon in the academy.

Another OIS was with an AR. I forgot how long it took to get it back, but their FI showed me pics of it. The extractor was bent outwards!! No idea how the hell the lab did that....

I hope this thread doesn't get too far off track. Correct me if I'm wrong but the OP seems to be asking about how long weapons were seized and if they were damaged. Some posters are just posting stories about drawing guns/encounters without a seizure for evidence.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    To add a little more mine had three zip ties on it one through the barrel, one holding the trigger back and one though the magwell and out the ejection port and was stored in a manilla envelope tossed into a file cabinet drawer.
    When I finally got to pick it up the property officer was actually digging through drawers knocking guns around, when he found it he poured my HK and three mags out on the desk like the were nothing and popped his knife open to start sawing at the zip ties, I told him to stop I'll get them off later.

This is Detroit so I am sure its worse than what would happen most anywhere else

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have taken my ccw out and it did its job.
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I will partially share one that is somewhat inline with OP request.

I had 2 rifles, mags and ammo confiscated by the city PD about 14 years ago. I got both back a couple months later in nice sealed storage bags. Seriously, they were nice. Kind of didn't want to break the seals. Never got ammo back.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Yes, I was asking more for the seizure of your weapon as evidence and how long was it kept. I like the stories also, like the ones in the NRA magazines and a couple other publications.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    When someone gives me the finger on the road I give them the thumbs up and smile. It pisses them off way more than returning the gesture.
    Heck yeah. If they really piss me off i stick my tongue out at them. childish, yes- but man that really gets them going and its a good laugh for me.

Feedback Score
    I don't even do that.

Shrugging my shoulders got my hood pounded on by the angry Arab guy.

I mind my own business and try like mad to keep a very cool head. It is just not worth it.

This is a big city and being a border state...we have tons of crazy drivers. Tons of traffic, too. Plan ahead and don't be in a big hurry and you won't go crazy.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    I had a Robar customized two tone Kimber Ultra taken after an incident. Took over a year to get back. Came back with a rusty barrel, and they were nice enough to engrave case numbers into the barrel, slide, frame and magazine with an electric pencil. And the remaining ammo was gone too.

Another time after an on duty incident I had my P220 taken. It was returned a couple months later, not engraved but still rusted from shitty storage conditions. This dept made us purchase our own sidearms from an approved list of pistols. After that I always maintained doubles or more of preferred sidearms.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast