Thread: Magpul UBR on a fighting gun

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Magpul UBR on a fighting gun

First off let me say that I know Magpul puts out top notch equipment. I run Pmag almost exclusively and I own several CTR stocks. I am looking at the UBR for a particular rifle of mine and since I don't have access to one, those of you with the UBRs I have a couple questions.

Is there any chance of it breaking when clearing a stuck case? Is it a strong enough design to handle banging the rifle very hard on the deck to clear the stuck case?

The sliding mechanism of the stock; would it be prone to seize or bind up if expose to sand or debris?

I am not sure of the way the buffer tube attaches, is there any way for the buffer tube to work loose, as is the case in an unstake buffer nut?

Any other comments or info on this stock would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Hootie

Feedback Score
    From Magpul's 2008 catalog:
    The Utility/Battle Rifle (UBR™), U.S. Patent 6651371, is
    an adjustable stock designed to offer the same stability
    as a fixed stock, accommodate new large-bore AR
    calibers, withstand severe impacts, and offer a
    consistent and comfortable cheek weld in any position.
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    As you would do with any collapsible stock, make sure that the UBR stock is fully collapsed if you need to slam the buttpad into the ground to clear the stuck case.

Feedback Score
    I have no experience with the Magpul CTR. But I can say that the M.UBR on my AR is solid! No "play" (jiggles/rattles/wiggles) with it. Has two (2) of them cheek weld upper(?). One small (if that's what they call small) and the larger one.

Even though I don't see any eXtreme use with my AR, at least I know it's well built!

Enjoy!

Feedback Score
    I was just getting ready to start a thread on the installation of the UBR stock.
    Could someone enlighten me?
    What I'm wanting to know, is just HOW does it mount?
    If I want to replace my milspec CTR stock, with a UBR, WHAT EXACTLY is going to be done?
    Will the 6 position receiver extension be completely removed, not to be used at all?
    Will I reuse another castle nut, end plate, or buffer tube???
    HOW does this thing mount, and does the UBR come COMPLETE with EVERYTHING needed to mount to an AR?
    Finally, does anyone have a weight comparison vs the CTR? (EXACT weight difference needed please). I will check Magpuls site to see if there is a weight listing. Just thought I'd ask here too.
    Thanks guys. Just trying to figure this thing out. Never seen it mentioned to date.

Feedback Score
    Here's a partial of my post somewhere else.

Buttstock end removes easily by depressing the "PRESET" button as seen here and then extending all the way out until positive stop. Then depress the "REMOVE" button located on the RH of buttstock and along with the Release Latch and remove completely.

Hope I will not get into any "infringement" trouble here with the following two picture shots:

Again I must say, this particular Magpul.UBR buttstock is fit to be tried!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    Is there any chance of it breaking when clearing a stuck case? Is it a strong enough design to handle banging the rifle very hard on the deck to clear the stuck case?
    Any collapsable stock has the potential to break when clearing a stuck case. The UBR is a very robust design. The key to cleaning a stuck case via the slamming the buttstock into the deck while pulling downward on the charging handle method is to ensure the collapsable stock is all the way closed.

Short answer, yes it's robust enough, just ensure that the UBR is all the way closed before attempting to clean a stuck casing by slamming the buttstock into the deck.

The sliding mechanism of the stock; would it be prone to seize or bind up if expose to sand or debris?
    I got quite a bit of fine and gritty sand and debris in the UBR mechanism during some recent training. I encountered no issues during or after the class. I remove the stock from the buffer tube and lightly cleaned it with a general pupose brush:

I am not sure of the way the buffer tube attaches, is there any way for the buffer tube to work loose, as is the case in an unstake buffer nut?

The buffer tube on the UBR attaches in the same manner in which the A2 stock attaches to the lower reciever. I've never seen an A2 come loose, unless the buttstock screw didn't have any loc-tite on it.

I run Pmag almost exclusively and I own several CTR stocks. I am looking at the UBR for a particular rifle of mine

Here is something I wrote a few months ago, when asked about different stocks:

Comparing a Magpul CTR stock to a Magpul UBR stock is like comparing a compact economy car to a full sized truck. Yes they both have 4 wheels and an engine, but that is where the liknesses end.

The CTR and the UBR have different missions, just like a compact economy car and a full sized truck have different missions.

The UBR may not feel at home on a short, light carbine or SBR with a short rail system / handguard. And the CTR may not feel at home on a 16" carbine with a 12.0 rail system or a 20" rifle........but the CTR would balance out the short guns, and the UBR would feel at home on the 16" carbine w/ 12.0 rail system or 20" rifle.

Something I have learned about AR's over the years is, it's a game of matching the right part with the right gun. You may try a stock on a 10.5" SBR and hate it, and then try the same stock on a 16" mid-length carbine and fall in love with it.

There are some accessories that I like across the board on all AR's, there are other accessories that I may like on a 11.5" SBR but not like on a 16" Mid-Length or a 20" Rifle.

Stocks can:

1) help balance out a rifle

2) or if the stock too big or heavy can dominate the gun

3) and if it's too small or too light can make the gun feel muzzle heavy

After trying several different configurations over the year, at the current time I have found that I like Magpul CTR's on SBR's and some 14.5" M4's, but I don't like Mapgul CTR's on 16" barreled mid-lengths or 14.5" guns with longer rail systems (9.0 - 13.2). The Magpul CTR is a light weight stock and doesn't balance out a front heavy carbine well.

-SOPMODs (for me) fit perfectly on a 14.5" M4, but can also balance most SBR's and mid-lengths out fairly well.

-Vltor EMods and Magpul UBRs balance out 16" Mid-Lenghts and most 18" gun with rifle length gas tubes quite well.

As a general rule *I* run:

-Magpul CTR's on SBR's (short barreled rifle) and some 14.5" M4's (with carbine length (7.0) rail system or standard carbine handguards)

-LMT SOPMOD stocks on 14.5" M4's and SBR's with long rail systems

-EMods and Magpul UBR's on 16" mid-lengths

-Magpul UBR's on 14.5" - 16" barrels with longer rail systems (10.0 - 13.2) (example show above of a UBR on a Noveske with a 14.5" barrel and a 10.0 rail system)

I also recently had the chance to try a Magpul UBR on a 20" rifle and the UBR balanced out the rifle extreemly well.

S/F,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    First off let me say that I know Magpul puts out top notch equipment. I run Pmag almost exclusively and I own several CTR stocks. I am looking at the UBR for a particular rifle of mine and since I don't have access to one, those of you with the UBRs I have a couple questions.

Thanks,
    Hootie
    No problems in case clearing, not even when I've used extreme force.

As far as the stock under sandy conditions, I've pulled it apart, and dumped it in sand, then reassembled it. Is it gritty? Yes, however it still works.

The UBR is similar to the A1/ A2 stocks, and doesn't suffer from the loosening up issues that plague their incorrectly assembled carbine siblings.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    This thread information is making me save money to buy a UBR soon. Thanks for the info.