Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have/build an AR pistol?

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)

Why have/build an AR pistol?

I'd like to pose this question to better understand the appeal of having/building an AR pistol. I am asking sincerely because I have not considered one for myself. I understand it can be an intermediate step towards an SBR tax stamp. And of course there are those who say "because I can" and "it's fun", which are all legit reasons to me. I also see it filling the role as a PDW. I would also like to know if there is any difficulties with making accurate shots with them. I know the Sig-Brace is a huge help with that, but what about those with regular pistol buffer tube? Are you getting accurate hits, and what are the techniques you are employing to get those accurate hits?

I respectfully ask the question. Thanks!!
    I am a "Glock Operator" but I do not play one on TV.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    To put it simply, I had no use for an AR pistol- until the Sig arm brace came out

Without the brace, I doubt I'd be able to shoot the AR pistol very well. With the brace, I'm getting 1-2 MOA groups (2-4 inches) at two hundred yards from an improvised rest on the bench. If you do a search, you'll find a couple of threads where this is discussed in detail
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm also kind of curious if there are any other reasons - the only one that makes sense to me is the first but maybe I'm missing something.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I think you answered most of the reasons. Also some states don't allow ownership of sbr's so the pistol is kind of the "as good as it gets" alternative.

As far as accurate shots from what I've seen/read a lot of folks get good results using a single point sling cinched back kinda tight and pushing the pistol forward, using that tension to help stabilize it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I'm also kind of curious if there are any other reasons - the only one that makes sense to me is the first but maybe I'm missing something.
    Sig brace = game changer.

It's a pistol (that's an AR15).

Meaning, if you live a state with fair CCW laws, you can carry it concealed, keep it loaded and accessible in your car and cross state lines without hassle.

The sig brace essentially makes it a smart man's SBR, gaining all the above benefits.

My 11.5" pistol with brace shoots as well as my 16". There is really no difference.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The AR pistol is just another variant for an Ar junkie (like me). Fun to build and shoot. It is also a entry firearm to SBR as you can stamp it and then add the stock. In my state, It's illegal to have a cocked and locked rifle in my vehicle, but not a pistol. So, If you have a carry permit you can legally have a cocked and locked AR pistol on your person or in your vehicle. Could be useful to some people, not so much for others .
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KC_in_Bama View Post
    I'd like to pose this question to better understand the appeal of having/building an AR pistol. I am asking sincerely because I have not considered one for myself. I understand it can be an intermediate step towards an SBR tax stamp. And of course there are those who say "because I can" and "it's fun", which are all legit reasons to me. I also see it filling the role as a PDW. I would also like to know if there is any difficulties with making accurate shots with them. I know the Sig-Brace is a huge help with that, but what about those with regular pistol buffer tube? Are you getting accurate hits, and what are the techniques you are employing to get those accurate hits?

I respectfully ask the question. Thanks!!
    Having a red dot (good one) mitigates a tremendous amount of issues related to shooting positions (off angles, imperfect head positions, and nonideal buttstocks), so that's a bit of an unsung hero in making the AR-15 Pistol PDW a viable concept. Short barrels can run really well, and the SB15 opens up a ton of 10-12.5" barreled options as reasonable so that's why they're around a lot more (realistic 300yd hits are quite possible with a solid PDW type setup, so more than enough mechanical accuracy is there).

It's still not a replacement for being able to run a true stock on the back of an SBR, but it can still fulfill the same role with far less hassle and less cost (as well as be permissive in locations where NFA is verbotten). The SB15 isn't a great buttstock, but that's not what it was designed to do - it's a pistol arm brace by design, and why it's been approved for use on pistols; but it will fill the role of making a third/fourth point of contact at least non-detrimental.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use mine as a Trunk gun / Fun gun.

The SigBrace made them more than just a novelty. They are now a viable option for home defense/trunk gun duty, and they do it well (if they are properly built).
    A work in progress, check epitaph for results.

Si Succiderit, De Genu Pugnat

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    3 reasons:

#1 - its a pistol - so you can CC it in your vehicle/backpack etc.
    #2 - Would rather have a pistol AR taken for evidence after a good shoot than an SBR-tax stamped rifle.
    #3 - ma rights!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    ...It's still not a replacement for being able to run a true stock on the back of an SBR...
    It comes pretty close though. I've been shooting mine quite a bit lately and have never found myself wishing for something better. I can even pogo (what AR guys call "mortar") a stuck case from the chamber without worrying about damaging the brace
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast