Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why have/build an AR pistol?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A lot of good views already posted.

I used to see no applicable purpose to AR pistols, except as range toys or people that were too lazy or unable to form 1 a lower.

That changed last month when I went on a hog hunt in Tennessee. I was all set to take my SBR'd 300 blackout AR and suppressor on the hunt. I filled out the ATF "permission" form and sent it out a couple months in advance. Life happened, and long story short the ATF lost my form and I didn't have enough time to get permission to take my SBR. No biggie, I took my 16" LMT LM8MWS (shot a nice 300 pound Russian).

That got me thinking about doing a pistol build and using the SIG brace. It would have allowed me to take my SBR upper, and as a bonus I can carry it loaded in states that honor my LTCF. PA allows me to carry a concealed SBR already, but being able to use a "ordinary" AR lower that didn't take a year of approval is a plus.

The benefits for ME:

1. Truck gun
    2. No ATF permission forms (in case life happens)
    3. I can let friends/family that are not in my trust borrow it
    4. Cheaper/less time intensive then my SBR'd lowers (in case of theft/damage due to car accident etc. )
    5. Not all states that have reciprocity with my LTCF in PA allow SBR'd rifles.
    6. Another AR in the safe!

The only drawback I see (IMHO) is not having a proper stock. While the SIG brace is a crutch, and I would recommend a SBR over a SIG brace, it is another tool in the tool box, and the added benefits outweighs the negatives.

FWIW, there are a ton of pistol buffer tube options out there. A lot more offerings then 10 years ago. The perfect LOP can easily be replicated with longer buffer tubes, LAW tactical adapter, and spacers.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    A lot of good views already posted.

I used to see no applicable purpose to AR pistols, except as range toys or people that were too lazy or unable to form 1 a lower.

That changed last month when I went on a hog hunt in Tennessee. I was all set to take my SBR'd 300 blackout AR and suppressor on the hunt. I filled out the ATF "permission" form and sent it out a couple months in advance. Life happened, and long story short the ATF lost my form and I didn't have enough time to get permission to take my SBR. No biggie, I took my 16" LMT LM8MWS (shot a nice 300 pound Russian).

That got me thinking about doing a pistol build and using the SIG brace. It would have allowed me to take my SBR upper, and as a bonus I can carry it loaded in states that honor my LTCF. PA allows me to carry a concealed SBR already, but being able to use a "ordinary" AR lower that didn't take a year of approval is a plus.

The benefits for ME:

1. Truck gun
    2. No ATF permission forms (in case life happens)
    3. I can let friends/family that are not in my trust borrow it
    4. Cheaper/less time intensive then my SBR'd lowers (in case of theft/damage due to car accident etc. )
    5. Not all states that have reciprocity with my LTCF in PA allow SBR'd rifles.
    6. Another AR in the safe!

The only drawback I see (IMHO) is not having a proper stock. While the SIG brace is a crutch, and I would recommend a SBR over a SIG brace, it is another tool in the tool box, and the added benefits outweighs the negatives.

FWIW, there are a ton of pistol buffer tube options out there. A lot more offerings then 10 years ago. The perfect LOP can easily be replicated with longer buffer tubes, LAW tactical adapter, and spacers.
    I agree, I have an SBR lower and a pistol lower. While the SBR lower provides a more customizable LOP for different situations, the SB15/KAK tube equipped pistol lower is an excellent go between. I set it to equal my most used setting on a collapsible stock and I find it equals the performance in every conceivable way. If the ATF would allow for adjustable SB15's, I would never buy another stamp.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567