Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have/build an AR pistol?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

SIG brace DEFINITELY has me more interested in one (got to fondle a pistol so-equipped a few weeks ago - MUCH more sturdy than the pictures led me to believe!). And I may eventually get the tax stamp... as I'm sure I couldn't get any MORE on the 'gummint radar' if I tried. Paperwork, rigamaroll, and "waiting, being the hardest part" (- T. Petty -), it's a "quick fix," if ya' gotta have a compact, discreet, 5.56 delivery system.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    3 reasons:

#1 - its a pistol - so you can CC it in your vehicle/backpack etc.
    #2 - Would rather have a pistol AR taken for evidence after a good shoot than an SBR-tax stamped rifle.
    #3 - ma rights!

Why the rubber band?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    Why the rubber band?
    In this instance for a tourniquet. In other instances to hold the sling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Several years ago when I saw my first AR pistol, it was hard to convince me that there was a practical application for one. It took me ten years before I ever decided to build one. I did not need one since I have several ARs, but I wanted to build one to see how I would like it. Last year, I built my AR pistol and have had a blast shooting it. Bear in mind, this will never be an SBR. I have a couple of those already. I did outfit it with a micro red dot optic to make target acquisition easier. It is a true AR pistol and not some pseudo-SBR. I want no mistake that it is a pistol. Now, what is its purpose? It is one AR that I keep a loaded magazine in and that is kept handy for use in one part of my home. I keep a loaded .45ACP 1911 and a Glock 26 in another part. The AR pistol is easy to handle and gives me 30 to 40 rounds (depending on which magazine I have in it at the time) of 55gr. hurt should I have to use it. It also makes for a nice trunkgun since it is compact (only a 7.5" barrel). I am glad I built this pistol. Bear in mind, it is, by no means, a substitute for any of my full sized AR carbines or AR rifles.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    Sig brace = game changer.

It's a pistol (that's an AR15).

Meaning, if you live a state with fair CCW laws, you can carry it concealed, keep it loaded and accessible in your car and cross state lines without hassle.

The sig brace essentially makes it a smart man's SBR, gaining all the above benefits.

My 11.5" pistol with brace shoots as well as my 16". There is really no difference.
    Same exact reasons I built mine. The Sig brace was the game changer for me. Before the Sig brace I just looked at an AR pistol as a novelty. I also like the options it give me as a CCW holder also.
    Last edited by RazorBurn; 10-16-14 at 09:36.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    3 reasons:

#1 - its a pistol - so you can CC it in your vehicle/backpack etc.

#2 - Would rather have a pistol AR taken for evidence after a good shoot than an SBR-tax stamped rifle.

#3 - ma rights!
    Are you NOT allowed to CCW a rifle in your State? (AZ doesn't specify.. so you can CCW any legal weapon)

As far as #2... IMO... who cares? SBR a couple lowers or whatever. Getting into a lethal force engagement with a sketchy at best "brace" is much more unsettling that running an SBR registered in full faith so to speak.

The only way I'd have a pistol is if I lived in a NO SBR State and needed a justification for owning short barreled upper(s).
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yeah, one state east and our CCW are actual CHL permits... we're only 'allowed' to carry one handgun. Period. Needless to say you might already be able to infer how I feel about an ethical moral citizen and willingness to abide by moronic laws.

Same argument on #3 - the SB15 will never enter into a discussion as 'best buttstock', because that's not what it is (and sucks at the crossover). It's way better than the other AR pistol RE addons out there for being able to put rounds on target, but at its current price in an SBR friendly state (especially if you're going with a double stamp unit) going with the SBR is scarcely more expensive, and opens up the ability to run really nice things like VLTOR A5 RE/Buffer/Spring setups, and stocks like the SOPMOD/STR/IMOD/BCM-GF.

It's one of those things where the use case isn't actually what people are getting them for - they're irreplaceable for trainers and such who have to travel a lot, and absolutely excellent range toys - where SBR's are no-go they are the next-best thing.
    For a lower receiver while waiting for a tax stamp there is a considerable amount of false economy (since one will wind up transferring that pistol extension and SB15 to another lower anyway, and that it's arguably better to ensure the lower is in spec using a 16" setup), so I'd still recommend running that lower on a rifle setup (but myself I've used a friends SB15 setup to test short barreled uppers with different buffer setups.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Are you NOT allowed to CCW a rifle in your State? (AZ doesn't specify.. so you can CCW any legal weapon)

As far as #2... IMO... who cares? SBR a couple lowers or whatever. Getting into a lethal force engagement with a sketchy at best "brace" is much more unsettling that running an SBR registered in full faith so to speak.

The only way I'd have a pistol is if I lived in a NO SBR State and needed a justification for owning short barreled upper(s).
    Your opinion. My opinion differs.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    It's easier to cross state lines with a pistol AR than an SBR. For example if you travel to another state to take a training class.....
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I never saw the point either, until that stupid looking brace came along...
    When you can get decent shoulder contact, and a decent cheek weld, these things are no longer range toys.

> I have lots of SBR uppers, and only one SBR lower. Now I have something else to put those uppers on.
    > I can cross state lines with a short upper without a pre-approved government permission slip.

The real answer for those who have lots of uppers is, have a pistol lower and SBR lower. Why not?
    Last edited by kdcgrohl; 10-16-14 at 12:58.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast